Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does a S-series body with 24-fret AANJ neck go along?

Hello ppl, it's me again with yet another question:

I have this guy who wanted to sell me an Ibanez S-series body; so tempting!
The S-series body has AANJ neck socket. But he's selling ONLY the body, so I was thinking about putting my 24-fret RG neck (AANJ) on that body and that will be badass (I think), coz S-series bodies are made from mahogany, right?

the electronics: i'll just transfer those on my RG to this S body, plus some other parts i need to get-but that is NOT the problem.

The problem is: S-series necks have 22 frets, and RG necks have 24 frets. So, if I put the RG neck on the S body, will I face problems with the tuning later, I mean, concerning the neck scale and all?

·
Registered
334 Posts
It won't intonate properly. Yes, you'll have problems.

If you want a complete S-series that's in near mint condition, hot rodded with a Seymour Duncan, I have a flamed S470 for sale. PM me if interested.

-R

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh bummer.

well, i kinda have only this much cash, so i dont think i could afford your S470, man. Plus, it's FLAMED, right? That should cost me some serious moolah. Ouch :p

Anyway, thanks for the offer. Besides, I live in Malaysia.

And thanks for the help, man!

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can use the 24fret neck, but you have to change the body so it will propperly intonate (the neck pocket is different and so is the neck lenght). And IMO you will have to use just single coil in neck position or no pickup, because there wan't be any place 'cause of longer neck. But have a talk with luthier, he will tell you if it is possible.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Its possible to modify the body to accept the rg neck but it wouldnt look right unless you refinished it and filled the neck pickup cavity etc. it just doesnt look right and no ones really done it because of the issues associated with it. Interestingly enough evil ed roman makes copys of the js series with a 2 octave neck if you want to see what they look like. Very misproportioned in my honest opinion

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Well I would have thought that goes without saying. Im suggesting you deal with him, but i cant argue sometimes he does do things other manufacturers never have. Lets just say it looked retarded and leave it at that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts