Ibanez JEM Forum banner

do you like scallops

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you like scallops + your reasoning please.

I have no oppinion on them as i have never played them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
if youre scalloping high frets, im not chording on them much anyways. and with high fret wires like i like, i dont feel the wood on the fretboard when im playing up there now. so when i wasnt bending they play about the same and when I am bending its much smoother.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I like bacon wrapped scallops.
Damn, as soon as I saw your Avi, I knew you posted what I was going to say.
Damn your eyes.

Oh well, that said, I have 2 axes that are 100 scalloped 1-24 and want to do another (one of my RG 6 strings)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Ooops, I saw the title and instantly thought, what a weird thread, and..."I hate seafood!!"

So I voted I hate 'em...

As for scalloped frets I kind of dig 'em, just maybe not every fret. So count me as like 'em and I'm a dumb ass for not reading more thoroughly. :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had a few necks scalloped, it definetly gives you better vibrato and its not hard to play. It only feels different when the frets are jumbos, you must fret the chords lightly.

on vintage style frets its no big difference.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I scalloped my Fender HM about 10 years ago. I just love playing it. You need to develop a light touch with your fretting hand, but you can get some awesome vibrato's with it.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The funny thing is that on a jumbo fretted guitar I don't touch the fretboard anyway, so scallops don't seem like they'd change a whole lot for me.

I think it looks really cool, and I'd like it on the high frets.

I'll try a whole scalloped fretboard sometime just to see if it'S a lot different than what I'm doing now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i dont have any guitars scalloped but ive played lots kotor.

you dont really notice a difference playing normal notes imo. the only difference i notice is much smoother bends/vibrato. it just moves the strings so easily being able to dig your fingers literally into the fretboard.

but for everything else i dont notice much of a difference since my fingers never touch the fretboard anyways like you said.

·
Registered
244 Posts
When I first saw this thread I thought of seafood to :lol:

But seeing as I've never played scalloped frets before, I guess I shouldn't vote.

But I really like the seafood scallops.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I neither hate nor love them, on the last 4 maybe, but I don't spend enough time down there for it to really matter. I'll just say, I have no use for them.

As far as seafood...not so much.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I like them sauteed in extra virgin olive oil with basil and garlic.
Yum!

I like the Jem scallops on the high frets; probably the best feature on that guitar IMO. I don't like the rest of the board scalloped, though. It feels weird on chords and I like getting my fingers "on top of" the string with some bite .

Jem scallops on a 1570....that might be pretty cool.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts