Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
obviously all guitars diminish in value to a certain point when we buy them new.

However, for some guitars they start increasing in value and almost become more 'collector' items. Do you own any Ibanez's that you don't play much because they've become collector guitars?

I bought an '88 540r last December. The guy selling it was trying to charge a premium because it was a 'collector' guitar. I didn't agree, but did end up buying it and am very glad I did because I haven't seen a jewel blue 540r like it in such fantastic shape since.

What Ibanez's are the most 'collectable' at this point?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
My RG550 20th is the only one I think that's retained its value somewhat. Mine's a player and has been gigged many times so that's a strike against it.
My RG1570 in Mirage Red seems to do fairly well too but I don't think either has increased in value; just stayed about the same.
I don't own one but one on my GAS list is the original RGA's, either the Prestige 121's or the 321's when they had passive pickups and the Gibraltar Plus bridge; before they were bastardized and made cheap with trems and active pickups. The ones I see on ebay actually seem to gain value.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have 1! But it is not an Ibby. I bought my Charvel Model 6 back in '98 for $400. They seem to go in the 7-800 range on the Bay. Adjusted for inflation I think it is now worth more than i paid (but just barely)!

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Probably my PWH, but I bought it in player/beater condition, so I don't give a **** about playing it - in fact, I sold a CST because it was gathering dust next to my PWH because I was too afraid to hurt the thing, while the PWH I wasn't so I just felt more comfortable onit. These days it's relegated to backup behind my Suhr, but I absolutely have no problem abusing the thing when I do play it, and it's a very different sounding guitar - less refined, more raw and growly.

I don't know if it's increasing in value - probably a little, but I also don't plan on selling it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
None of mine I think.
My Les Paul has a repaired headstock and my Ibbys are players my Strat is a FrankenStrat. Maybe the old Lyle guitar I have might increase a couple bucks over what I paid but that's about it.
The only way my guitars are getting worth more is if I become famous which is highly unlikely at this point :lol:

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Maybe not a lot of value in Japan, but if I wanted to sell my new RG685 or even my 1990 560PN, I'm sure I could get more than I what I paid for here. Why? Because of these 2 reasons:

1. The 685 was never released outside Japan and I'm sure just about anyone here, if they could add it to their collection, would do so in a heartbeat.

2. The 560 is 1990. They didn't make PN outside Japan until 91. Another Japan only guitar.

·
Registered
408 Posts
To answer your question - no.

But to me they ARE increasing in value to me, as I become more attached to them. ^ ^

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've got a stock 1987 rg550 in a spot run color called "violet pearl." It has some dings but is in good shape. I know I will never retire off of it, but it is not going to loose any value.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Most Ibanez guitars go down in value after the they are bought new.
Swirls have gone up and the VSK, LNG, SK, BFP and maybe the 10th Anv.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Some of mine are definitely increasing in value (Jems, RBM2), some are either holding steady or are increasing slowly and there's probably a couple that aren't worth what I paid for 'em. But most of what I have was 25 years old when I bought it, so the new guitar price hit doesn't really apply. I've definitely made money buying and selling guitars. Not a lot, probably two grand or so. My biggest profit was a J.Custom that I made about a grand on in a little over a year, even with all the eBay fees factored in. I know I could turn some significant loot if I decided to part with my LNG or GMC.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I was hoping that my Jem (FP2) would increase in value but I'm gonna have to wait a thousand years for that to happen. Wasn't my motivator for saving up and buying one anyway - just wanted a Jem for since I was a kid...

My acoustic, a Cole Clark FL3, will maybe increase in value a little (still decent money) as it came from a good year and before the management change. Not significant numbers in the grand scheme i imagine and, again, it's not hugely important to me - I'm lucky to have it and it's just the best sounding acoustic I've ever played and wouldn't be without it.

Got to be way more insightful (and richer) than me to make big money in this game I think...

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Making "big money" buying and selling guitars is really tough to do. This topic was beaten to death elsewhere. If you want to make money, don't do it by buying and selling collectibles.

I think the question was simply are any of your guitars increasing in value. If you want to buy one really nice, brand new guitar, then buy it and don't worry that you can't resell it at a profit. If you want to buy and sell a significant number of guitars, then simply breaking even should be your goal. There are definitely people on this site who churn through guitars and take small but not insignificant losses on every one of them. That adds up over time.

·
Vendor
26,378 Posts
Making "big money" buying and selling guitars is really tough to do. This topic was beaten to death elsewhere. If you want to make money, don't do it by buying and selling collectibles.

I think the question was simply are any of your guitars increasing in value. If you want to buy one really nice, brand new guitar, then buy it and don't worry that you can't resell it at a profit. If you want to buy and sell a significant number of guitars, then simply breaking even should be your goal. There are definitely people on this site who churn through guitars and take small but not insignificant losses on every one of them. That adds up over time.
I beg to differ. Selling collectibles is big business, in all fields of collecting. Not that their values always go bottom left to upper right, there are market fluctuations in any collecting field. But there is always plenty of margin to be made if you buy right and sell right. Collectibles are discretionary and as such are correlated to how well the economy is doing, for the most part. Everything took a big plunge in the collapse, but like Mr. Buffet always said, the time to buy is when there is blood in the water ;)

As to the topic, I'd hope I have a few that are still increasing in value. I'd like to be able to fund my retirement with them in 20 years ;)

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Rich is correct, T'aR you seem to maybe be referring to flipping non-collectibles (i.e anything Ibanez non-signature) or buying then playing then trying to resell collectables... glen

·
Vendor
26,378 Posts
I'll never retire from the things I like to do, but my body will retire me from the guitar business ;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts