Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Do you play gigs? (at least every 3 months)

• yep

Votes: 33 45.2%
  • noup

Votes: 40 54.8%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Distantshore said:
Stage fright...actually people fright
just remember "they can't eat you!". i haven't heard of stage cannibalism.....yet.:)
a friend used to say that to me when i'd get nervous playing in front of large crowds of bikers. that was back in like '96. i always laughed when i thought about what he said and it eased the tension and "knee-knocking". i always try to remember that i'm up there doing what most of them wish they were doing - getting paid to be the center of attention at a party "takin' care of business".
i've been playing professionally (sometimes having day jobs like working at a music store and giving guitar lessons) for more than 10 years. maybe one day i'll actually be good and get a link at the top of Jemsite ;)

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
rufes said:
This Summer we played in a pub near the beach. The guy forgot to advertise the event in the radio and press as he uses to do. We played in front of 5 guys and 2 kids. That was [email protected]' frightening!!!!!
that is always tough. when i played in original bands we either had a packed house or were playing for the bar staff and the other bands that were there. playing in front of a room full of musicians is the most difficult 'cause they stand there saying, "i could do better". there is an arrogance in players sometimes that makes my stomach turn.
whenever one of the other "big guns" in my area happen into a bar i'm playing at i try to use it as inspiration to show what i can do with the band i'm in and i usually get some appreciation for that - i'm not as bad ass as some of the other Jemsiters but i hold my own - i hope to at least after 20 some odd years of playing this damn thing LOL!

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Used to play gigs every Wed and Friday when I was in the house band of the "House of Rock" That was way cool.......but way tooooo much EGO! Now I have my OWN band with only my friends...its sooooo much more fun and we are writing only our own music (except one cover...Liberty:) Funny how much better things go when everyone can get along. Soon we will be back up N-runnin & gigin. Just gotta take care of a little drummer issue. Most people I ever played in front of was at the International Guitar Festival in Bath England on student concert night....a good thousand or so croud. Talk about being a bit ~shaky~ before the show - I think they said I was turning green :mrgreen: but after I got up there in the stage lights and looked out on the croud.....it just went away and I played a spot on lead. After that I was never nervoius to play in front of people again. Except the other night when I played in front of my dad for the very first time....I was scared to DEATH. Pretty sad....I've been playing now for 20 years and just finally my dad got see me play:(

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Hell yeah! It's going to be a bit quiet on the gig front for a while in my case, but hopefully next year I'll be touring again! woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fingers crossed!

Gigging is great, i used to have stage-fright, but then realised that headbanging meant i didn't have to see the audience and i was off! Loved it ever since :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
My band has played out twice-- once about six months after we started playing our instruments. Half our gear was built in the garage. We practicised for two months and learned two songs (Kiss' God of Thunder and Uriah Heep's The Wizard). With three days left it kind sunk in that we had a problem and we came up with some of our own songs. Note that we had no singer-- it was all instrumental-- which was a bit tough that early on. I really liked two of the songs we did-- one was called Iron Horse (a ZZ Top like jam in A) and the other was Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D minor. After our keyboard and guitar solos, we were all supposed to pause and end on the same chord... but our drummer/keyboard player was too nervous and played two wrong notes. I still remember the look on his face, a hideously contorted grin, as I look up from the fretboard to find the source of that terrible sound. He's refused to play it since (that was two years ago). We played again a few weeks ago and it was awesome, though we were a bit drunk. I even sang.

Stage fright though? This is what I've wanted to be able to do for years-- I only get frightened right before we start, when I get up to microphone and see the people standing there looking at me and the rest of the band is waiting for me to open my mouth. Our solution was to start off with a party song-- "It's time to rock'n'roll!" and we go into Living After Midnight.

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
Not any more. I played out between late 79 and maybe 96, though, very heavily in the early 80's, less so after that. Playing on stage is absolutely the best way to spend a night in a bar ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
No.
Don't own a car, and i'm content writing and producing my stuff right here at home.
If i met some musicians who had similar tastes/intentions/lifestyles, i'd give it a go, but i'm not that interested in it to put forth any effort.
peace

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.