Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I figure you guys in Europe would enjoy this more, I know Gary Moore is huge over there. You guys still have and make excellent music.
Here is the USA, the record companies and producers have killed any kind of music, that's actually music!!!!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I have to agree with your own assesment of your voice, your vocal range isn't suited for this tune at all, the guitar playing on the other hand was good I enjoyed it, the tone was good as well the only let down is that you replace too many of the cool phrases in the solo with your own thing I know ultimately that's what we want to do to become better musicians but I never liked performers who would get up there and improvise the solo, when you do that you take character from the original piece.
The loner is my fav tune form Gary on this one your bends were not only out of tune but slightly behind the beat, at times you rushed the phrases at times you fell behind I'd say this one out of all the tunes you played was not well executed at all, and the fact that you did too much of your own thing made it
sound kind of bad you were only improvising on his original phrases and were boxed in to much in Am patterns maybe occasionally F#. If you are going to improvise you need to employ different scales and modes to make it interesting to make it more yours if that's what you are going after when you say "my own version" I don't want you to feel like I'm attacking you or saying you can't play I figure you posted this so that you can get some constuctive criticism and input therefore I'm doing it 'cause I don't think I do you any favors by telling you "oh you were good" you still need work on these great songs whether you're going to interpret them faithfully or improvise on them.
Watch you tone as well, the Gary Moore tone was very good but the Steve Vai tone was kind of bad it seemed you were using chorus on your distortion and the Wah wasn't comming thru very clear, also watch the bending and the pinched harmonics you seem to stuggle with thaT a lot.
My favorite tune was R.I.P I don't know if you wrote it but it was quite good!
the singing was better thatn in "Still have the blues" and even though I didn't really see much of a reference in your playing to YJM other than maybe using
the harmonic minor scale I think your solo here was very very good it built up to something and had intensity what a solo should do so congrats on that. It seems to me that you are better off writing and playing your own stuff rather other people's.
Cheers Jemswirl and I hope you take this review with a grain of salt because I do respect what you did here.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nice playing, I enjoyed!
Olie said nice words to you although we know it sounds a little bit tough to hear many times. Just take it in the good way and share more of your music with us.

jemswirl said:
...Here is the USA, the record companies and producers have killed any kind of music...
same in Europe bro, just a few can play their own music and have a decent live here...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no problem with the critics, that's what were all here for. I'm not trying to be the next American Idol lol. I just play the guitar for fun. When Gary plays his own songs live he always plays it a little different. Actually I almost played note for note what the recorded song was save a few phrases.
Yes I wrote the tune R.I.P. Thanks for all the reviews.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.