Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Define inexpensive??? That's pretty relative, because typically inexpensive isn't "good" it's... Something you buy to fix and make it "good". There's a lot of used Ibanez AANJ necks out there.

Registered
I keep saying that the first company that makes bodies and necks that offers ibanez aanj necks in a few bigger profiles will make a killing.

OG wizard
Wizard 3
Satriani sized
Warmoth 59 type
Maybe a kotzen tele sized neck?
Fatback size like a straight .95/no taper

I'd pay warmoth or musikraft prices for one. No question.

But as of now, i don't think anyone reliable is making aanj ibanez replacement necks.

Registered
Best bet would be to buy a used neck online. You may find a better deal on a whole guitar where the neck is in good condition but the rest of the guitar is beaten up - you could then re-sell the neckless guitar to offset your cost.

Registered

Registered
How much does a brand new 24-fret GRG cost in the US? I'd guess about 50% more than this used GRG neck.

If buying a used neck, I'd like to think a Wizard II or Wizard III would be readily available for circa $100, but maybe I'm wrong.
Yeah, you are. Lol

They are 200 bucks or higher.

Most are from korea, thailand, etc. too, so they get extra pricey

Registered
How much does a brand new 24-fret GRG cost in the US? I'd guess about 50% more than this used GRG neck.

If buying a used neck, I'd like to think a Wizard II or Wizard III would be readily available for circa $100, but maybe I'm wrong.
True on teh GRG used prices... The Wizard II necks are actually really comfortable and playable if you get a good one. Decent quality for a lower line neck.

Registered
I heard and felt that the gio necks were a bit lesser than even the standard line's necks.

I guess if those are pretty darned good, that the gio necks would be at least decent?

It would be hard for me to have the gio name on it though.

Registered
True on teh GRG used prices... The Wizard II necks are actually really comfortable and playable if you get a good one. Decent quality for a lower line neck.
Super Wizard is very much my favourite profile, but Wizard II is ok. My XPT700 is my only sub-Prestige Ibby and that has Wizard II. Plenty of people actually prefer Wizard II / III to Wizard / Super Wizard, as they're thin but not such a dramatic change for their hand to adjust to from other neck profiles (Fender etc.).

Registered
I heard and felt that the gio necks were a bit lesser than even the standard line's necks.

I guess if those are pretty darned good, that the gio necks would be at least decent?

It would be hard for me to have the gio name on it though.
From what I've seen/felt, they are: fatter, made from lower quality cuts of wood, the finish on the back of the neck doesn't feel as nice, less time is spent on fret levelling (i.e. won't get the action so low), less time is spent on fret dressing (i.e. filed at more of a gradient, leaving less space for bends/vibrato on the wide strings), and the nuts (along with all other hardware) are cheaper.

I'm speaking as a fussy Prestige player though...

Registered
From what I've seen/felt, they are: fatter, made from lower quality cuts of wood, the finish on the back of the neck doesn't feel as nice, less time is spent on fret levelling (i.e. won't get the action so low), less time is spent on fret dressing (i.e. filed at more of a gradient, leaving less space for bends/vibrato on the wide strings), and the nuts (along with all other hardware) are cheaper.

I'm speaking as a fussy Prestige player though...
Whew, thats what i thought.

I'd never personally own a GIO. I do own a standard though. Its neck is stellar.

Prestige, premium, or standard for me.

These days, i am leaning more towards standards that anything.

Price, neck shape (wizard 3 ftw!), and the ability to choose pickups other than fishmans or the TZ/AN combo.
The finish choices are much more varied and exciting too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.