Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've heard too many stories and countless speeches that warn people against putting their guitar(s), amps and whatnot onto that luggage conveyer belt. Either 1 of 3 things happens.

1) The airline industry has "lost" your equipment...

2) The airline industry has "damaged" your equipment....

3) The airline industry employee(s) have "stolen" your equipment.

I lived in NYC for 16.5 years (Washington Heights - 181st Street & B'way) 馃 And decided it was time to move to Florida. Everything went into a moving truck EXCEPT for 2 guitars (RG350DX & a Radius 540R LTD), and my Spider Jam. We rented like I think it was a Ford Explorer or something along those lines. Whatever it was it had terrible blind spots, lol.

Anyway, suffice it to say I and my gear arrived perfectly in Florida simply because I rented an SUV and put the Uber Important Stuff in it, and drove it down to Florida which was somewhere around a 17 hour trip.

If you've got airline stories that the rest of us can benefit from, by all means spread the word. And don't get me wrong, I don't "hate" the airline industry, but when it comes to this kind of stuff, I simply don't trust them.

Thank You!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no stories as I never took any chances.
Normally I can take the guitar in its case into the cabin.
Last time thou, I took of the neck and put in my hand laguage.
Good for you!!! Yeah, I had a friend that lost his guitar, as it never showed up in the baggage claim. Even tho some cases come with locks, they are flimsy at best. If you have a case that has a hitch for a Master Lock (or equivelant), word is that, they are legally allowed to "break" into your case searching for "whatever they want to" to prevent terrorist activity. I don't care how long I have to drive to meet my destination, I'd never forgive myself if I trusted an airliner and got shafted by one of the 3 above situations. Luckily I have only a few contacts that live far away from me, and were I to see them, I wouldn't bring any olf my equipment with me. Ugh!!!

Registered
I've heard too many stories and countless speeches that warn people against putting their guitar(s), amps and whatnot onto that luggage conveyer belt. Either 1 of 3 things happens.

1) The airline industry has "lost" your equipment...

2) The airline industry has "damaged" your equipment....

3) The airline industry employee(s) have "stolen" your equipment.

I lived in NYC for 16.5 years (Washington Heights - 181st Street & B'way) 馃 And decided it was time to move to Florida. Everything went into a moving truck EXCEPT for 2 guitars (RG350DX & a Radius 540R LTD), and my Spider Jam. We rented like I think it was a Ford Explorer or something along those lines. Whatever it was it had terrible blind spots, lol.

Anyway, suffice it to say I and my gear arrived perfectly in Florida simply because I rented an SUV and put the Uber Important Stuff in it, and drove it down to Florida which was somewhere around a 17 hour trip.

If you've got airline stories that the rest of us can benefit from, by all means spread the word. And don't get me wrong, I don't "hate" the airline industry, but when it comes to this kind of stuff, I simply don't trust them.

Thank You!!!

I flew with a classical guitar in a hard case. When we landed, there was a hole in the top of the case and a new hole it the top of my guitar. Luckily I had bought the insurance when I goat my ticket. The Arline paid out the claim at the airport at my destination. The insurance was 14 dollars. I don鈥檛 know if the airlines still offer that anymore. But I won鈥檛 check a guitar as baggage ever again.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I flew with a classical guitar in a hard case. When we landed, there was a hole in the top of the case and a new hole it the top of my guitar. Luckily I had bought the insurance when I goat my ticket. The Arline paid out the claim at the airport at my destination. The insurance was 14 dollars. I don鈥檛 know if the airlines still offer that anymore. But I won鈥檛 check a guitar as baggage ever again.
Yep, chalk up another horror story to a guitar that got popped. How long did you own that guitar for? See, it's one thing for you to have airline insurance on your items. But even if you get a new replacement, is there not a "lost connection" with the previous guitar you've connected with for so long, and such a history with? I think for me, even though if they'd replace it, there is a "substitution" that cannot replace the original. However, that's just me getting all riled up. 馃

Registered
It was a mid priced classical. It wasn鈥檛 worth more than 400 dollars. It was the first guitar I ever bought with my military pay, back in 1990. But I had declared a value of 400 bucks when I bought the insurance. But it didn鈥檛 have any sentimental value. I would never take my classical guitar that I have now, as it was hand made from scratch. And I got a killer deal on it. It even has a fiberglass case. But I wouldn鈥檛 risk it now.

Registered
Not airline related but this one was quite funny i thought.

I bought a fairly rough cheap Roadstar II RS140 on eBay at the end of November as a project, needs a neck repair, beat up paint etc. I asked the seller if they were comfortable removing the floating bridge from the guitar, i said it would probably be easier and safer to post if the neck and bridge were removed and everything was boxed together for transit.

The seller said that would be ok and that he had experience dealing with that stuff before. When i received the guitar the bridge had been left in the body with the rear cavity springs still attached, this meant the bridge had sunk into the body and damaged it slightly, over and above that, the packaging was so terrible i actually found it quite funny. Neck and body boxed separately then taped together for transit across the UK.

Some people shouldn't be in charge of a musical instrument.

Tints and shades Packing materials Paper product Plastic Paper

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh my god, that is absolutely ABHORRENT!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a mid priced classical. It wasn鈥檛 worth more than 400 dollars. It was the first guitar I ever bought with my military pay, back in 1990. But I had declared a value of 400 bucks when I bought the insurance. But it didn鈥檛 have any sentimental value. I would never take my classical guitar that I have now, as it was hand made from scratch. And I got a killer deal on it. It even has a fiberglass case. But I wouldn鈥檛 risk it now.
Damn right you won't risk it! Especially for a sweet axe like that!!! 馃槈

Premium Member
What I鈥檝e learned:
  • some airlines are more musical instrument friendly than others. Southwest Airlines is very good in that regard.
  • guitars are not luggage. When you are at the airport, plan to have your guitar with you at the gate.
  • whether or not you can board the plane with your guitar or 鈥済ate check鈥 it depends on the airline, the plane, and your boarding group. If you are in the final boarding group on a full plane you will probably have to 鈥済ate check鈥 your guitar. No one likes to 鈥漡ate check鈥 their guitar but as long as it鈥檚 in a decent hard shell case it will be fine.
  • Depending on the value of the guitar, a flight case can be a good investment. I have also known someone who stuffed their whole rig into a shambolic gig bag. Security was very interested in him and what he was bringing on the plane.
  • Guitars will fit in the overhead compartment of 737鈥檚 and larger planes with plenty of room for carry-ons. Smaller planes are more hit or miss.

Registered
^^ Some good points. I generally avoid travelling with an instrument (too many horror stories), though I do have a Martin LX1, which is meant for that. Otherwise, a well padded gig bag will probably make life easier in getting it on board.

Yet, relatively recently, I travelled with my classical. I had an argument with the teller at the airport as they insisted it had to be checked in because of the hard case, never mind that the flight was almost empty and it would have fit in the overhead compartment. Yes, I probably should've checked the fine print, and was arguably overly optimistic about smooth sailing.

In the end, the guitar (and the case) were fine. Don't know if British Airways are typically friendlier with instruments, or because of the pandemic induced lull in air travel, but it gave me the heebie jeebies all the same, ha!

I also understand the perspective of airlines 鈥 so many people bring so much sh!t with them as on-board, seriously... Folks who fly a fair bit know what I mean.

Registered
I did a few years ago. I was assigned temporarily to a location in the mid-west. I couldn't go 2 or 3 months without a guitar! I had an SG in a Gator hard case. The case was clearly handled roughly with a couple of dents and scrapes but the SG made it through unscathed.

Never again. I was lucky that time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I did a few years ago. I was assigned temporarily to a location in the mid-west. I couldn't go 2 or 3 months without a guitar! I had an SG in a Gator hard case. The case was clearly handled roughly with a couple of dents and scrapes but the SG made it through unscathed.

Never again. I was lucky that time.
Your resolution and resolve are duly noted. All of my Ibanez cases (3 of them anyway) are M300C hardshell cases. The guitars fit PERFECTLY in them with no play at all, and they're tough and durable, but not to the point where they can do the luggage test by a zoo full of apes, being that they can just be tossed about by douchebags in the travel industry. My 4th case came with the Radius 540R LTD. The guitar doesn't fit "quite right", as the guitar has a bit of "play" in the case to move around. I'll be replacing it with an M300C soon enough.

Registered
Well, a nice expensive hard case might induce the wrong ppl that the case and its content might get "lost".

I remember two related stories:
1) Joe Bonamassa about sending his Esquire Blackguard to Guitar Magazine (?) and being "lost" for a few days in a distribuition center of UPS /DHL (?)

2) Alex Lifeson about a broken 335 (?) when the case was tossed from the airplane in freezing cold

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I bought a fairly rough cheap Roadstar II RS140 on eBay at the end of November as a project, needs a neck repair, beat up paint etc. I asked the seller if they were comfortable removing the floating bridge from the guitar, i said it would probably be easier and safer to post if the neck and bridge were removed and everything was boxed together for transit.

The seller said that would be ok and that he had experience dealing with that stuff before. When i received the guitar the bridge had been left in the body with the rear cavity springs still attached, this meant the bridge had sunk into the body and damaged it slightly, over and above that, the packaging was so terrible i actually found it quite funny. Neck and body boxed separately then taped together for transit across the UK.

View attachment 18510
Good grief man!!! That is DISGUSTING. Sorry, I thought I had responded to this earlier but alas, t'was not to be. Anyway, I think there's a terrific lesson to be learned here. You know, if I ever, EVER had to sell one of my axes and SHIP IT to some cat in TimBukTu, I'd have the courtesy of FIRST, shipping it in the hardshell case - and SECOND, that case would be boxed up by UPS. They literally have guitar boxes that will swallow a good-sized hardshell case. Anyway, just my two cents.

Registered
Good grief man!!! That is DISGUSTING. Sorry, I thought I had responded to this earlier but alas, t'was not to be. Anyway, I think there's a terrific lesson to be learned here. You know, if I ever, EVER had to sell one of my axes and SHIP IT to some cat in TimBukTu, I'd have the courtesy of FIRST, shipping it in the hardshell case - and SECOND, that case would be boxed up by UPS. They literally have guitar boxes that will swallow a good-sized hardshell case. Anyway, just my two cents.
The guitar was a little cheap beater so i wasnt overly concerned about the lack of hard case but i did say to the seller to package it appropriately once it was disassembled, unfortunately i think this comes down to what other people consider "appropriate"

Thankfully two of my guitars came with hard cases (albeit fairly weak) and one of my other guitars i went to pick up in person. Any form of transportation for an instrument shouldn't be taken lightly, even a pothole on the road might cause the guitar to receive whiplash which could damage the neck or body

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ok, so, from what you all are saying is essentially this:

This is the airline service "taking care of you" and your lost (stolen) / damaged guitar and case. They are at your immediate attention. Maybe this won't be so bad.

Well, maybe it will. And of course, you just KNOW that this is going to be one ugly ride.

Meanwhile, airport personnel laugh at you and your predicament at the same time, right out in the open.

They wait with great and disturbing impatience while you fill out the endless forms for your claim.

They tell you to have a seat while they work on the problem...

But of course, things don't work out like this. They never do. It's a bloody f*cking mess...

You hope that, as far as the airline is concerned, you can come to an agreement with your loss, and hope for compensation...

But that's just not going to happen, and somewhere deep inside, you know it.

Deciding to be civil and humane about this, you had decided to take your last beloved item on board, which they said would fit... but - as expected - it didn't fit in the overhead bin, even when you did your best to stuff it in there...

The service was so bad that, you couldn't even get any freakin' peanuts. You reach for the peanuts, but no sir - no peanuts for you - not a freakin' one.

So now, you're thinking homicidal thoughts and feelings.

However, you refrain from such actions, and bridle your thoughts and emotions.
Two months later they finally call you, to let you know they cannot find your lost guitar.
Welcome, Ladies & Gentlemen, to the endless cycle of Airline Hell.

Just the way I see it...

Registered

View attachment 18510
That's an upsetting photo!

All of my guitars purchased online have been shipped in a hard case, boxed up with packaging inside to protect the case - often with that box then inside another box, with even more packaging. No mishaps so far! If a seller gives me any indication that they don't know what their doing (e.g. insists that a courier offers full insurance for instruments when I know for a fact that they don't), I steer clear.

I almost learned a hard lesson with an amp purchased on eBay though, before I'd ever had a guitar shipped. JCM900 2x12 combo delivered in an oversized cardboard box with no protective packaging. The box was all battered and the delivery guy complained that it was far too heavy for the courier service the sender had paid for. I later learned that it wasn't insured.
I was fully expecting the speaker cones to be destroyed when I saw the box, but the amp arrived in the same condition that it left it's previous owner in. One of the power amp tubes was blown - possibly as a result of being jolted about during transit - so I insisted on a partial refund to cover a new set of JJ EL34s + installation + biasing. Everything worked out well in the end and the amp is going strong over a decade later (although I don't use it much - younger me didn't realise a 100W Marshall amp wasn't a good idea for "bedroom" playing haha!).

I've taken guitars on trains, in a hard case and kept with me in the carriage, without any issues. Even in my car, I'd only ever transport a guitar in a hard case.

I've always wondered how touring musicians get their gear all around the world without spending every waking and sleeping second worrying whether it will turn up and, if it does, what state it will arrive in. Maybe this was Bruce's real reason for buying his own plan (Flight 666).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts