Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marshall Studio 15, Marshall Major, Marshall JCM 900 SL-X 2100, and a Vox AC30.

I find I like the sound of my Les Paul and strat with the Vox and Major where I like the Jem best with the SL-X. They're all very different with the Studio 15 (the Jem is a bit higher gain and with the LP and strat, that thing gets the best old plexi tone from an amp that is not an old plexi that I have ever heard!).

Anybody else find they like some guitars with some amps better?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
My UV seems to sound good through anything.:lol:
Sorry. ;) No, it at least sounds good through Fender and Marshall amps.
I've been wanting to try a Peavey JSX.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
i don't know if this is a true representation of the majority, but i have to make do with just one amp.

can you believe that? only one amp.

it's a fender hotrod deville 4x10". it's great for strat/tele stuff. gets a large dose of boss gt6 for any ibanez work.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Oh yeah, that's what I'm all about. I have different guitars, preamps, and cabinets, and basically when I record a song, or play live everything in the signal path is variable based on what I want at the end. I even had a set of pickups made for me that are wound precisely for a Mesa MKIIC. They sound great otherwise, but they are exactly what I want for a MKIIC.

When you have one guitar/amp you have to improvise, and that's where I came from. I had to vary my pick attack, tone knob, do fancy wiring to that one guitar to get various sounds, and really stretch each effects device I had. So now that I have more stuff I'm able to really appreciate it. And I'm also able to really "play" it, like get more out of whatever gear I have than your "typical" guitarist. So I'm kind of a fan of both camps. Have less fancy tools while you're developing your technique, and add them later.

So if you're saying "man, I need a les paul and a marshall for that sound" but you only have an RG and a GT-6, get in there and figure out how to re-construct what you want out of that GT-6 before you blow money on the LP/JCM800.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ Yeah point taken. But it's tough to get a cascading gain stage kind of distortion from a vintage amp, or the clean of a Major from a high gain amp too!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've got a '67 Bassman, Marshall 6100 30th Anniversary, and Tech21 Trademark.

All the amps are great BUT all my guitars sound better through the Bassman. It's the best amp I've never heard.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
'67 Bassman... drool....

My friend has a 64 bandmaster and it's sweet. What do you use for distortion? A Keeley modded DS-1?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Depending..... I can use a Japanese Boss DS-1 or an English old Marshall Guv'nor. Normally the last one.

Jem / Les Paul + Old Marshall Guv'nor + '67 Bassman = Tone heaven

You can see everything here: http://www.rufes.com/stuff.htm

Regarding your friend, a Bandmaster between 64 and 67 is a BlackFace too (unless it is a transitional blonde made in 1964) with 2x6L6.

Black Faces have IMHO the best tone you can find and "eat" pedals very very nicely.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Is that Bassman a reissue? It's in pristine shape, otherwise.

I've got a Mesa Nomad. For great cleans, I use my Nomad. For horrid-yet-appealing cleans, I use my Nomad. If I want old scool crunch, I use my Nomad. If I want modern medal, I use my Nomad. If I want searing high-gain lead, I use my Nomad. If I want old-school smooth-yet-bluesy lead, I use my Nomad. You get the picture. ;)

Surprisingly, with a high-gain set of JJ's and my UV, the third channel (hiughest gain)'s "vintage" mode sounds unreal with the gain at 2-ish, barely breaking up, yet just gorgeous.

-D

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rufes said:
Depending..... I can use a Japanese Boss DS-1 or an English old Marshall Guv'nor. Normally the last one.

Regarding your friend, a Bandmaster between 64 and 67 is a BlackFace too (unless it is a transitional blonde made in 1964) with 2x6L6.

Black Faces have IMHO the best tone you can find and "eat" pedals very very nicely.
Yes it is a blackface. I thought the 67 was a blondeface or whatever they call them - the ones that nobody particularly cared too much for before they went back to blackface which I thought was 69 or 70.

It's a little higher gain than a twin but the thing is it sounds like a higher gain amp would even when you back off the volume... it's hard to explain. I told him to check out a Keeley modded DS-1 for it, but there are other options too. Suprisingly, it didnt like the Rat as much as a JCM 2000.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rufes said:

You put the pickup covers on the Evolutions? Or can you buy them that way?

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
I put Evo7/Paf7 in my UV because my Jem has Evo/Paf. Wanted to be able to switch guitars without changing amp settings. works well.

~K

·
Registered
67 Posts
If there was a "perfect tone" combination of gear, we would all just buy that and be done. How boring would that be. Thats the beauty of being a guitar player. The sum of our gear is what gives us our individuallity. There is no right or wrong tone......just diffrent.............the trick is to find a use for some of these tones. When you hear a sound from one of your guitar/amp combinations that you don't like...............instead of writing it off as bad tone.................try to find a way to use that tone for something usefull. This can be very challenging and rewarding................especially if you are recording your own music. Diffrent tones layered can be very effective and keeps the ear interested longer. Playing live..............bring as much gear as your back can handle. We tend to get lazy and bring only the gear we need to get through the show. It will help keep the crowd stimulated visually as well. Change guitars as much as possible. This will make you apprieciate your favorite guitar more. Looks great on stage too!

·
Registered
589 Posts
red5 said:
You put the pickup covers on the Evolutions? Or can you buy them that way?
No, no covers. I bought them zebra. The picture in my web is not with the current pups. In that time I had a couple of Voodoos.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rufes said:
No, no covers. I bought them zebra. The picture in my web is not with the current pups. In that time I had a couple of Voodoos.
Figured maybe so...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.