Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to ask if everyone here in the forum uses tube amps if you don't and use solid state let me know why and what manufacturer you are using. Was your decision based on tone, clean and drive channel or other. All information would be great.

Armando

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think alot of folks here go tubes. Tubes have an organic quality that solid state can't achieve, at least that's why I like them. I chose a Peavy ValveKing 212. Just bought it about a week ago. I looked at this one first because the price was right ($550 w/pedal). I simply didn't have the cash to go higher this time around.

I pretty happy with the VK so far. Plenty of tones can be coaxed from it. It sings. Plenty of gain available. I'm not crazy about the reverb, it sounds a little harsh to me but then I don't generally use it much anyway. It's loud as hell with plenty of headroom. Onboard gain/volume boost is a big plus. Well built. Great amp at this price point.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Mmm I'm getting a Mesa Mark IV in a couple days so I'm going to be all tube then.

Right now I have a Line 6 Flextone 2..don't really like iit because it isnt tube, the amp shapes it's own sound unlike tube amps where picking and pickups etc.. play a big role. Tubes have a "organic" feel and can be rewarding to crank the amp. Pedals go very nice through a tube amp unlike SS.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Congrats Ozz...the Mark Iv's sound like awesome amps :D

By the end of the summer, after I have accumulated enough money ::crosses fingers:: I should be aquiring a Mesa F-50 (tube). My current fender-blackface-cheapie (solid state) isn't doing enough - the overdrive isn't smooth, and really the best aspect is the clean channel (which still sounds better in general on tube)

·
Registered
344 Posts
I recently was out looking for a new amp (was set on going for a tube amp), tried a ton of amps out - Fender, Marshall, Peavey, Vox, Line 6, Mesa, and B-52 amps. I kinda knew what I wanted - Mesa or Peavey, I tried a bunch of Mesa's and really, really liked the Mark IV combo but I didn't have about $2000 to put towards a new amp. Ended up leaving with the Peavey VK2x12, only got to use it for about 10 minutes that night, two days later I went to play through it and it crapped out. Brought it back, went through more hours of trying amps and came across the Peavey XXL 2x12 combo... I was sold... 3 channels, 3 different voicings for each individual channel, cleans are amazing, and the distortion is ubelievably versatile, 25/50/100 watts switch, 3-way damping switch, global volume and reverb, each channel has their own seperate EQ's (Ultra channel has an active EQ). AMAZING amp! I really never looked into the XXL before, just from playing through it for the 1st time, I turned it around expecting to see some tubes! It's solid state! Why Peavey stopped selling the 2x12 combo, I have no idea, amazing amp. Very, very happy that the VK2x12 crapped out on me and I came across the XXL 2x12. The key to getting the distortion to sound great at any volume on the XXL, max out the global volume control and just set each channels volume controls accordingly. This amp is a BEAST! I still can't believe it's solid state.

·
Registered
587 Posts
yeah i like tube WAY better then solid state... there's nothing like a fully cranked up, breathing tube amp standing behind you when you play:D

i use a marshall JCM900 which is very nice and i can get good tones out of it:)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Nope. Modelers (& solid state) for me. I get pretty much the sound I want whether loud or soft - and it's usually not loud. At 39 I still have my hearing.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Solid state amps, by themselves, sound much better than they used too. However, the difference and tone and response becomes extremely noticeable when you play along with someone using a tube amp.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
OK.... I know I'll sound like an "old timer" here, but back when I started playing solid state was in it's early stages and generally came with lots of headaches. So tube was the only way to go. Like "supermau" says.... tubes do bring something "earthy" to your sound. I realize most probably think you just "crank it to 11":lol: but in reality a good quality tube amp doesn't require that and besides, you're going to need those ears later in life! Over the years I have used several low wattage tube amps and mic'd them with great success. Some of my favorite smaller amps were the Mesa 22 cal., Mesa 50 Cal., Old Mesa S.O.B., old Ampeg, and of course my original MKI.
I have even used a beefed up Fender Princeton and thought it had great tone. Bottom line is, you need to determine just what you'll be using your amp for, how often, and where. No sense in having a "wall of doom" if you're not going to need it or it's going to sit in some rehearsal space "lookin cool". Personally, I would look for a used tube amp and have a professional check it out before dropping any "real" cash. Old tube amps are around and you can find some bargains, whether it's Peavey, Marshall, Boogie or Fender...... be patient, good luck, and get looking! ;)

P.S. My current fav is a Komet but I'll have to think long and hard before dropping that kinda $$$$ only because I don't have a real need for one.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Shouldn't matter what amp you play coz tone comes from the fingers :wink:
So just change the way you play and you'll save a fortune on different amps :D

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Shouldn't matter what amp you play coz tone comes from the fingers :wink:
So just change the way you play and you'll save a fortune on different amps :D
So true..... good amp = 25% of your tone, 75% gotta come from the player! No need to "change the way you play"..... just practice and learn to use the the tools ya have! ;)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I use solid state, probably most of the time as my at home practice set-up is solid state but I also have a solid state live amp (Randall), a SS/Tube hybrid (Marshall 3203) and full tube rack (Peavey Rock Master/Classic 5050). They are all so different I really don't have a preference.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm currently running a Crate 90 watt Excalibur solid state head, and love the sounds. Keeps up with our other guitarist's Marshall, no problem, and I personally think it sounds better than many tube amps I've recently tried out. The one exception was a Marshall DSL50 head, which I'm shooting for, next. Probably keep the Crate as a backup. Usually, I only keep one head around, at a time, but I like this one, so it stays.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Unfortunately I've never really had the spare cash to buy a half decent tube amp. I'm currently using a Kustom KGA65 whcih happens to sound great for a solid state. The distortion channel has never really given me the sound I was after so I've been using a Boss MT2 until recently I got a Zoom G7.1ut (it has one tube!!!) I've been tweaking this sucker and I've been able to get some really good sounds, even the tube controls on the pedal seem to have an effect.

I'm hoping after my wedding next March that I might be able to save up a little and get some sort of tube power amp perhaps and run it with my current amp as the speaker and the Zoom as my pre-amp of sorts.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Yep, only tubes. I bought a modeler to use as a practice amp and I never use it becaues my tube amps sound so much better. I don't think there's a bad sound in my Orange.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Forgot to mention...

I just bought an ADA MP-1 with Mod4 MKII mod. I'm going to buy a poweramp and a 2x12 cab for the ADA. Can't wait forthe MP-1 to arrive.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think alot of folks here go tubes. Tubes have an organic quality that solid state can't achieve, at least that's why I like them. I chose a Peavy ValveKing 212. Just bought it about a week ago. I looked at this one first because the price was right ($550 w/pedal). I simply didn't have the cash to go higher this time around.

I pretty happy with the VK so far. Plenty of tones can be coaxed from it. It sings. Plenty of gain available. I'm not crazy about the reverb, it sounds a little harsh to me but then I don't generally use it much anyway. It's loud as hell with plenty of headroom. Onboard gain/volume boost is a big plus. Well built. Great amp at this price point.
Glad your happy with that amp my friend. My dad doesnt like it but i love it, wouldnt change it for my AVT50 though, i love sound of it.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
i used to have an really old beat-up VHT head that I got for 300 bucks, but it blew. After that I had a Krank half stack I got real cheap, but sold it to pay off some things. i didn't like it that much anyway. but right now my main amp is an Ibanez IBZ10 practice amp and I loooooove it. It sounds really unique and the distortion is really solid statey, but I can shred so fast on it for some reason.

i am saving up for a ENGL though.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts