Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

Registered
Well that's awesome man! Looks like it was actually stripped then! I gotta go through that this spring or summer 馃槕. Not looking forward to removing that hard paint.

The guy should not have painted the neck pocket at all though, it can cause the neck to sit at an incorrect angle causing fret buzz. The paint in the pocket should be removed... Unless is plays perfect, at that point personally I don't know if I'd bother with removing the excess paint.

Registered
Thats not a legit body. Routing is ... wrong/bad, thats... not alder, that "dimarzio" is ABSOLUTELY fake, counterfeits have *terrible* plating on their screws and thats what Im seeing here, the holes arent drilled properly, the height adjustment screws are too big... and thats just what I can see from this one angle.

Registered
This has already been resolved in another thread. There was a picture shown of the neck pocket with the factory "JEM" labeling. It was verified as real by an ibanez vendor.

Registered
This has already been resolved in another thread. There was a picture shown of the neck pocket with the factory "JEM" labeling. It was verified as real by an ibanez vendor.
wasnt resolved at all, and Rich said to "check the neck pocket". This is 100000% not a legitimate body.

Super Moderator
@bob493, unless you've made the guitar in question from fake parts you're only guessing, like everyone else here is guessing. But I'd wager unless you work at either Fujigen in Japan or Headstock here in the U.K. then the folks who think it's real have almost certainly seen the inside of a JEM far more often than your average player or owner...

Registered
@bob493, unless you've made the guitar in question from fake parts you're only guessing, like everyone else here is guessing. But I'd wager unless you work at either Fujigen in Japan or Headstock here in the U.K. then the folks who think it's real have almost certainly seen the inside of a JEM far more often than your average player or owner...
Not to be rude, but Im not "guessing". 1) thats not alder. that alone is enough. 2) the routings are incredibly sloppy. This is incumbent of a dull bit, something Fujigen would never let slide through. 3) the pickguard is CLEARLY wrong. Dont need to work at fujigen to see these things mate.

As well, Rich hasn't even mentioned anything about it yet. He simply stated "look at the neck pocket". Furthermore, if the people claiming "its real" cant see these issues, then I have to take their word with a grain of salt. Sorry, but that is what it is. At any rate, its not my money and I've said what I wanted to say. I hope Im wrong, but I really dont think I am.

Registered

Super Moderator
Not to be rude, but, yeah, you ARE guessing, unless you want to throw up some evidence other than you don鈥檛 think it looks like alder...

I think there are a few people here taking wh you鈥檝e said with a pinch of salt too...

But it鈥檚 not my money either so neither of us have too much to lose :)

Registered
Not to be rude, but, yeah, you ARE guessing, unless you want to throw up some evidence other than you don't think it looks like alder...

I think there are a few people here taking wh you've said with a pinch of salt too...

But it's not my money either so neither of us have too much to lose :)
:roll: no... no im not...

The differences are pretty obvious when pointed out, I've literally shown comparison pictures, and I've said why. Take it or leave it, I really dont care beyond this. If you guys cant/wont see it, thats fine, but telling someone to waste their money on whats AT BEST "sketchy" is kinda crap. The body IS fake, the pickguard IS fake, the stamp on the neck doesnt match at all, the stripes are way too thick, the pickups arent right, the fretboard isnt rosewood, combined with the fact that its REAL easy to grab an old used Edge, locking nut and some gotoh tuners off reverb leads me to be really suspicious about the whole thing.

Attachments

Registered
I can't remember what thread it was in, but Rich had said essentially as long as the neck pocket is stamped then it would be worth the risk. But from those pictures you sent, it could possibly be a fake. But only based on the dimarzio logo. Wood color varies. Especially given the drastic difference in lighting. Too late now though, he bought it weeks ago.

Super Moderator
:roll: no... no im not...
Wait, let me check... yeah. Yeah, thought so... yeah you are!

The differences are pretty obvious when pointed out, I've literally shown comparison pictures, and I've said why. Take it or leave it, I really dont care beyond this. If you guys cant/wont see it, thats fine, but telling someone to waste their money on whats AT BEST "sketchy" is kinda crap. The body IS fake, the pickguard IS fake, the stamp on the neck doesnt match at all, the stripes are way too thick, the pickups arent right, the fretboard isnt rosewood, combined with the fact that its REAL easy to grab an old used Edge, locking nut and some gotoh tuners off reverb leads me to be really suspicious about the whole thing.
I'm sitting here with my white JEM which admittedly is a few years older, but I'm fairly sure is real, and bar the colour, it looks the same as the yellow one. At worst I think the yellow one may have been rebuilt with different screws, but the rosewood looks like rosewood to me, the pick guard looks right to me and so on. You might be the greatest sleuth in the world but frankly your evidence of a few cut and paste photos that are out of focus and out of scale look to be just more misleading than anything else...

But as others have said, the guy bought the guitar a while back and is happy enough with it. All you're serving to do now is reduce your already low reputation on the site...

Registered
I can't remember what thread it was in, but Rich had said essentially as long as the neck pocket is stamped then it would be worth the risk. But from those pictures you sent, it could possibly be a fake. But only based on the dimarzio logo. Wood color varies. Especially given the drastic difference in lighting. Too late now though, he bought it weeks ago.
Yeah, unfortunately didnt see the "NGD" post until well after I looked the thing over honestly. That said, I've been dabbling in wood working for over 20 years now; thats pretty clearly luan to me; which is a very inexpensive and very available lumber over in asia. But if hes happy with it, so be it.

Wait, let me check... yeah. Yeah, thought so... yeah you are!

I'm sitting here with my white JEM which admittedly is a few years older, but I'm fairly sure is real, and bar the colour, it looks the same as the yellow one. At worst I think the yellow one may have been rebuilt with different screws, but the rosewood looks like rosewood to me, the pick guard looks right to me and so on. You might be the greatest sleuth in the world but frankly your evidence of a few cut and paste photos that are out of focus and out of scale look to be just more misleading than anything else...

But as others have said, the guy bought the guitar a while back and is happy enough with it. All you're serving to do now is reduce your already low reputation on the site...
So lemme get this straight... Im wrong, despite showing objective proof and examples, simply because "you said so"? Im not quite understanding how youre incapable of seeing the differences with the pickguard; of everything I've shown thats like... the most obvious mate. Like its not even the same shape lol. And If thats whats "lowering my reputation", then... sure man. At any rate, the differences are VERY clear and obvious, and you can choose how you wish to interpret them, its truly no skin off my butt here.

Super Moderator
Yeah, unfortunately didnt see the "NGD" post until well after I looked the thing over honestly. That said, I've been dabbling in wood working for over 20 years now; thats pretty clearly luan to me; which is a very inexpensive and very available lumber over in asia. But if hes happy with it, so be it.

So lemme get this straight... Im wrong, despite showing objective proof and examples, simply because "you said so"? Im not quite understanding how youre incapable of seeing the differences with the pickguard; of everything I've shown thats like... the most obvious mate. Like its not even the same shape lol. And If thats whats "lowering my reputation", then... sure man. At any rate, the differences are VERY clear and obvious, and you can choose how you wish to interpret them, its truly no skin off my butt here.
Well seeing as we're 'measuring', I've been dabbling in woodworking for over 30 years and I know that a piece of roughly finished alder can look like a piece of various other light brown woods especially when it's poorly lit in one photo compared to a different piece of wood in another well lit photo.

If you're sitting there with a JEM7VWH whilst you're typing your replies, and it's a 2010 year model, that's great you'll have a more objective view of the comparison than I do with my 2002 version I'm looking at. The pickguard on mine looks more like the one on the yellow guitar in the photos than the white one... The board definitely looks like rosewood to me. The humbuckers look more yellow than I'd have expected, and in the photos, the pole pieces do look like they're set in a non standard adjustment, but they dont look obviously fake to me.

We'll have to wait to see if the owner pulls the pickguard to check.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.