Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i take care of my guitars pretty well, usually those that doesnt leave my house rarely get a chip or so. however, i just noticed a little paint chip on my carpet after i accidentally bump my 2550 lightly against my plaster wall. on closer inspection, i found out there are afew other minor chips around the edges, and some bumps on the body if i see it closer. probably from other light bumping events that i didnt give much attention to

being those guys who spend their weekend polishing their axes with virtuoso, now i cant help it but to stare at the chips and dings whenever i play it. 0.o

this is my first basswood guitar, is this normal?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've found that some guitars chip much easier than others. All of my Ibanez guitars have chipped easily at one point or another. Could be due to the sharper edges on the body, etc. But, if you bump anything, its bound to happen regardless.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I've found that some guitars chip much easier than others. All of my Ibanez guitars have chipped easily at one point or another. Could be due to the sharper edges on the body, etc. But, if you bump anything, its bound to happen regardless.
THIS^^^

It seems that, somewhere in the mid 90's, Ibanez switched the way they paint guitars. The finishes are very nice looking, but chip very easily. This seems true of all models that I've come across. It's something that I've learned to accept. I'm not going to switch brands over silly paint issues.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I find there really is no in between from case queens and players. If you care about chips, you need to handle that guitar in an almost sterile environment and bubble wrap. Otherwise, don't sweat the small stuff. Chips, dings etc are going to happen on any guitar you play fairly regularly. Out of 30 guitars I own, maybe 2 or 3 are case queens.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I think some years were better than others; just like quality.
My 1991 RG570PN didn't chip easy but that paint process involved a few different coats and it had a good sealer. I think a lot of the early 90's RG's had good adhesion and finishes.
My '99 RG7620VK had a finish that chipped if you looked at it. My '01 RG570GN has visible runs and the finish looks thin. The RG1570 Mirage Red looks like it has a really thick clear coat. Great finish and no chips in that yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts