Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was reading the most recent "Young Guitar" magazine here in Japan. Paul is on the cover and he gives a demonstration on the DVD. But in the article he talks about his new record with Freddie Nelson and some other stuff.

There was one thing that was pretty shocking to me that he said. He said that he is done making instrumental albums. Now I oculd be wrong my Japanese isn't native and there is a lot of room for error. DOes anyone know anything about it for certain?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
What, NO! I hope you are wrong with your japanese lol
I am not really into stuff paul does with lyrics, except for a few songs. This would be a blow below the belt for me

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'd like to see Steve go back with a singer but the Roth matchup was too perfect. Who would Gilbert be good with? Cherone put your hand down you had your chance!!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd like to see Steve go back with a singer but the Roth matchup was too perfect. Who would Gilbert be good with? Cherone put your hand down you had your chance!!
I don't know who he would be good with. I haven't heard his new album with Freddie Nelson.

***EDIT***

Just confirmed with my wife, he said it. He's done. He talked about how he is always changing what he wants to do.

·
Registered
598 Posts
God damn it, I prefered Japanese when it looked like gibberish versus telling me PG isn't doing instrumentals

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yeah, but I mean like what would the lyrical content be?
Well I guess it would sound different than Paul's instrumental stuff. Obviously he's experienced with this type of playing. The Albums called United States. Don't know what else there could be. I'll get the album and listen.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I'd like to see Steve go back with a singer but the Roth matchup was too perfect. Who would Gilbert be good with?
My thoughts exactly. I, too, would rather see PG in a band set-up with good songs, production and interesting instruments/musicians. I'm ok with the Racer X stuff but it's not really my taste in songs and vocal style...I really like the Roth stuff or Extreme. If Paul can get with a band like that it would be musical fireworks for me! :cool:

·
Registered
788 Posts
I LOVE Paul gilbert's vocal cds, thats probably what makes him more than just another shredder to me. My favorite things of Paul Gilbert, were Racer X and his Vocal solo CDs, not a huge fan of his lone instrumental cds.

I guess my tastes are just different though, Im listening to John Mayer right now as we speak. lol.

I think Paul realizes Instrumental music, not many people really care for that much outside of this guitar-player niche. Vocal music sadly is the main form of making money in this industry. Altho im sure he could support himself off instrumental cds, his heart seems to be in other music enough that he rather do something he loves, along with make more money.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
While this is extremely disappointing to hear for me :sad: It comes as no surprise!!

Remember Paul has only recently ventured into instrumental album territory, has always been in vocal bands so it's obvious that's his main thing :wink:

I too am not over enthusiastic about his vocal albums as they are a little too "pop" to get my kicks from!! But do not despair!!!!! He has always fitted in some instrumental songs along the way!!! Let's not forget.... "Scarified" and "Technichal Difficulties" are both from Racer X albums along with several other superb songs like "YRO" and "Viking Kong" :D

I think what keeps the music fun for Paul is not being tied to one style/genre! As long as he's still making music and entertaining us all that's the important thing :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts