Ibanez JEM Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Don't forget that for years he's been focusing on a much more pop-oriented Japanese audience. His instrumental CDs have broadened his audience beyond Japan a bit, so I wouldn't be surprised if his next vocal albums have less bubblegum and more edge to them.

And for what it's worth, I also really like his older solo stuff. But then again I'm a huge ABBA fan too. :D

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I prefer his vocal albums to his (still very excellent) instrumental ones, and I hope he goes back to doing his own singing every now and then, but I love the new album with Freddie Nelson and I hope it takes off for him and they can go on tour and keep it going.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I prefer his vocal albums to his (still very excellent) instrumental ones, and I hope he goes back to doing his own singing every now and then, but I love the new album with Freddie Nelson and I hope it takes off for him and they can go on tour and keep it going.
They're coming here in Febuary.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
They're coming here in Febuary.
I know. ;) http://iheartguitar.blogspot.com/2008/10/news-paul-gilbert-freddie-nelson-japan.html

Hehe.

I'd love to think this album would do well on radio in the US though. The songs are there, but the production might be a little too real for modern rock radio, which seems so geared towards that Pro Toolsed sound. The United States CD actually sounds like real drums and amps, not triggered drum samples and amp sim plugins like everything out there at the moment.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I know. ;) http://iheartguitar.blogspot.com/2008/10/news-paul-gilbert-freddie-nelson-japan.html

Hehe.

I'd love to think this album would do well on radio in the US though. The songs are there, but the production might be a little too real for modern rock radio, which seems so geared towards that Pro Toolsed sound. The United States CD actually sounds like real drums and amps, not triggered drum samples and amp sim plugins like everything out there at the moment.
Yeah I'm so pleasantly suprised with that album. I thought it would be much poppier and no offense to Freddie Nelson, but in his photos he looks like a idiot. You know that feeling you get sometimes when you see someone, you just make an assumption based on their looks I did. It's stupid I know and I hope I'm completely wrong. But his voice is awesome, even though it's as if Freddie Mercury were singing (eerie don't you think). The Last Rock And Roll Star is a killer song that riff has been on in my head for 24 hours. ANd Paul still turns on the talent when he wants. I both hatwe and love Paul's playing. Love it for it's incredible everything speed, technique, melody and it's raw power. To me, something that's being lost to over technical playing today is raw guitar power like SRV and Jimi Hendrix had. Paul has it in a new way.

It's real rock, you know, just plain rock, and I feel that is being lost in over genrenizationing (my own word but you get it) of everything. It's always pop-rock, metal-core, post-punk they keep inventing a new genre for every band. I liked it better when it was: pop, rock, metal, and ofcourse jazz, and classical. As far as PG's decision goes, I love instrumental music but nothing compares to a great rock unit all working together; killer vocals, guitar, bass and drums. I really hope this becomes a band and brings back ROCK as it should be. But I seriously doubt that will happen.

About the production. It's raw, but I think that's really good. I'm tired of over production. I want to hear the instruments and feel their power.

I hope I can get tickets to the show, it's hard for me to confirm my days off so therefore planning is difficult.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
About the production. It's raw, but I think that's really good. I'm tired of over production. I want to hear the instruments and feel their power.
Yeah, and even though Paul multitracks his guitars and overdubs bass on the album, it still has a live kinda feel. Who knows, maybe Nelson's 'gothic Keith Urban' looks will be a hit with the ladies and the album will be huge when released outside of Japan.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts