Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...anyone has ever retro-fitted a Double Edge (piezo equipped) tremolo in their JEM. If so, what were your experiences in putting it in?

I just did it a month ago on my JEM 7VSBL and it's pretty cool. I used a Carvin dual jack plate for the dual outputs (they had to be routed obviously) and since I don't care for tone knobs I only have the magnetic volume and piezo volume on the pickguard along with a EBMM Petrucci 3-way switch and the piezo/magnetic blend toggle. I had a new pickguard made for it with just two humbuckers.

It turned out like a Petrucci model Ibanez with a piezo bridge but with a pickguard and a monkey grip! I'll take some pics and post them if anyone is interested...

·
Registered
597 Posts
That sounds awesome, I'd love to have a setup very much like that, though I don't think I would care to route my precious VSBL to get it!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I think it'd be very cool. Just don't want to modify my jem. I'm also quite fond of tone knobs so I'd have to get an other knob put in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds awesome, I'd love to have a setup very much like that, though I don't think I would care to route my precious VSBL to get it!
Actually, I wasn't all that warm to hacking mine up either but I only use EMGs and since the piezo would need a battery too, my luthier carved out a nice cavity near the jacks in the back that allowed for one of those dual 9-volt battery holders. It looks about as "factory" as you can get. My pickguard is a pearloid instead of the solid white as it was stock.

I had a trio of EBMM Petrucci models (2 6-string and 1 7-string) as well as an Ibanez Petrucci model (P3 - Ivory Picasso). My main reason for buying those was because I just HAD to have that pickup selector switch in the right place. Every one of my custom guitars has the switch there... But, I didn't want to hack up the Ibanez Petrucci and all three of my EBMM had that [email protected] piezo switch on the upper horn and it always got in my way when I would tap.... so I liquidated those....

long story short - I play in two bands and in one we do about a half-dozen E-Flat songs so I keep my JEM in that tuning. I just wanted to have the best of the Petrucci world with the best of the Steve Vai world. And - I HONESTLY did not realize how "collectable" the Blue JEMs became. Am I wrong there? Are they kind of rare?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Actually, I wasn't all that warm to hacking mine up either but I only use EMGs and since the piezo would need a battery too, my luthier carved out a nice cavity near the jacks in the back that allowed for one of those dual 9-volt battery holders. It looks about as "factory" as you can get. My pickguard is a pearloid instead of the solid white as it was stock.

I had a trio of EBMM Petrucci models (2 6-string and 1 7-string) as well as an Ibanez Petrucci model (P3 - Ivory Picasso). My main reason for buying those was because I just HAD to have that pickup selector switch in the right place. Every one of my custom guitars has the switch there... But, I didn't want to hack up the Ibanez Petrucci and all three of my EBMM had that [email protected] piezo switch on the upper horn and it always got in my way when I would tap.... so I liquidated those....

long story short - I play in two bands and in one we do about a half-dozen E-Flat songs so I keep my JEM in that tuning. I just wanted to have the best of the Petrucci world with the best of the Steve Vai world. And - I HONESTLY did not realize how "collectable" the Blue JEMs became. Am I wrong there? Are they kind of rare?
Compared to, say, a VWH, they're definitely rare, but I wouldn't say they're all that collectible yet. They've only been out of production for, what, 4 years? Steve has been seen playing one only extremely rarely, at least compared to the other models, so I think that a lot of people who aren't "in the know" don't really know much about them. Plus, they certainly aren't as flashy as most of the other models (which I like). Meanwhile, there's generally enough of them out there and available to satisfy the demand of those that know what they are and want one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

I didn't think they were all that rare yet but I am far from the expert... so we're not talking about a JEM2KDNA yet here right?? LOL!

I did get mine on bay-of-e as well - not too long ago. I was a bit taken aback from the fact that I played a recent (2007 model) 7WH and the neck on my blue one feels a little different. I actually liked the neck on the 7WH a little better. Are the necks that different on these?

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I read somewhere here that neck on new JEMs is the same as on new Prestiges besides name, but I don't remember details:)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

I didn't think they were all that rare yet but I am far from the expert... so we're not talking about a JEM2KDNA yet here right?? LOL!

I did get mine on bay-of-e as well - not too long ago. I was a bit taken aback from the fact that I played a recent (2007 model) 7WH and the neck on my blue one feels a little different. I actually liked the neck on the 7WH a little better. Are the necks that different on these?

Thoughts anyone?
When they were in production, the VWH and VSBL were supposed to be functionally identical, as far as I know, just with different finishes. Same bridge, same electronics, same body wood, same neck. I believe the VSBL actually had a rosewood freboard for its entire production while the VWH still had ebony, but I'm not positive of that.

The 2007 Jem neck may well be a bit different though. I know they went to a 5 piece design at some point and apparently eliminated the scarf joint at the headstock. These might lead to a little different feel, I'm not sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts