Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey gang,

Here are some progress pics of the custom Dragonburst LP I've got coming!

Specs: african mahogany body (just clearcoated), mahogany neck (with quilted maple neck thru stripe - dragonburst). Supremely quilted maple top (dragonburst), bareknuckle pickups (mule/warpig), tonepros string thru body and Sperzel locking tuners. It'll be 25.5 inch scale, 24 frets with an ebony fretboard.

Here are the inlays I picked up for it:

This first pic is just a pic from the front of the general thing. Fretboard and top not glued on yet, obviously:

The second is from the back, that blindingly white strip (thanks, sunlight) is the quilted maple stripe seen in the third pic:

This third one is a crappy quality pic of the quilted maple neck thru-ness, on ze back. The stripe is gonna be dragonburst, for continuity with the top on the front. Glue needs to dry, some sandin', etc...but it was wetted to show how figured it'd be when finished:

I'll keep everyone updated with more progress pics. Estimated time of completion - early Sept :). Thanks for looking everyone!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I take no credit for the actual building (live in a small apartment, it's kind of impossible =P), only the design. Should be done in less than a month. I'll continue posting pics here as I get 'em :).

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here ya go folks, the top has been installed! And we slammed a 1/8th inch piece of the quilted maple on to the headstock, so everything matches. So far I'm very happy. Inlaying the fretboard will happen tonight, hopefully pics of that soon. In these pics, the top is sanded and dry. Last pic is of the now quilty headstock. Can't wait to see how this looks when finished if this is how it looks dry!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! See that's the thing, I'm not into LPs either. Scale is not to my liking, 22 fret versus 24 fret, thicker necks, super heavy, etc...this is not an LP in any sense except the body shape and even that has been modified (virtually no neck heel, deeper cutaway for better fret access, etc). :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks man :). I'm really excited to see how it turns out. What's left: installation of fretboard, fretting, finishing, routing & hardware install. I'm guessing it should be done in about 3 weeks. By far the fastest build I've ever had done for me.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Make sure to put a flushed mounted jack and not a combo jack/plate. Those just look cheesy IMO. Also, double check the top of the headstock, from the pictures you posted, it looks as if the angle is not centered with the line:

Jimmy:smile:

P.S.: I totally dig the inlays and the quilted book matched maple.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.