Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
technically, p2p stands for peer-to-peer and file sharing programs are not illegal. Idiots failing to observe copyright law while using the software are committing illegal acts. It's totally legal for you to share clips of family reunions or old speeches using Kazaa. It's only illegal to share files if you're sharing copyrighted material between individuals who have not licensed it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
jem7vwh said:
... and file sharing programs are not illegal. Idiots failing to observe copyright law while using the software are committing illegal acts. It's totally legal for you to share clips of family reunions or old speeches using Kazaa. It's only illegal to share files if you're sharing copyrighted material between individuals who have not licensed it.
True, Kazaa itself is not illegal but in the context of the 1st post (downloading a copyrighted unreleased album) it is

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
jem7vwh said:
technically, p2p stands for peer-to-peer and file sharing programs are not illegal. Idiots failing to observe copyright law while using the software are committing illegal acts. It's totally legal for you to share clips of family reunions or old speeches using Kazaa. It's only illegal to share files if you're sharing copyrighted material between individuals who have not licensed it.
In the US that is. In Canada it's still legal, pending further decisions.

I personally think some file-sharing is good for promoting bands that are starting out, but a lot of people take it way too far.

I hate iTunes and other legal downloading sites much more though.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
So the couple songs I've heard so far have yet to inspire me to actually go and buy a copy of this album, I'm beginning to think DT has jumped the shark.
I've had 1 run through of Root of all Evil, Answer lies within (these are the REAL SONGS)
and I'm listening to These walls which seems better at the moment, but we'll see...

I'm glad p2p exists, because if I had heard 6doit before paying for a double CD I would not have purchased it. Me thinks Train of thought would have been the same, I don't think I'll be buying this album. I've purchased EVERY DT release, and sadly, the last 2 weren't up to snuff IMO, change is fine, but I think they've lost it, Jordan needs to go.
I respect and admire his ability and whatnot, but he is a lead anchor around the bands' collective waist, he's bringing 'em down. Or, maybe the guys need to go their seperate ways now, do their own projects for a couple years, then either reunite or just leave it alone. I've been a DT fan from WDADU on and it's painful to say that, but that is my opnion.

BTW, "These Walls" is pretty uninspired too, with the exception of the main riff, but a great song, 1 riff does not make.

I walk beside you just started and seems interesting...
we shall see...

Different rant, if Itunes and the other services made it easier to move songs from your home and or office PC's I would be more into it, but the DRM is such a pain, that if I want to put it on my RIOT I can't because my Riot wants Real player to download from, WINAMP is my player of choice on PC and I don't want to have to use 5 different players to accomodate my music. they need to make the DRM more universal and allow licenses to port across player types. ATM it isn't perfect.

BTW, I'm still not sold on the DT album Sorry.

Bamm

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've had the whole thing for two weeks and have my "official" copy on reserve for next Tuesday's release. No, I will not send it to anyone for any reason, I don't care who you are, so don't waste your time asking me for it.

The songs take on a slightly different feel than what you're used to and the music continues the feeling of the last studio album, TOT.

The opening of the album is a bit too long, IMO. They have about 1:00 worth of nothing but noise and buildup to the introduction of the song and the music starting in the first song, TROAE. It's a good opening song, strong rhythm and toe-tapping feel. Aggressive. The opening for the the second song, ALWI, is similarly slow, but then, it's a slower song - personally, I'd have waited until further into the album before adding in a slow ballad-type song. A good song nonetheless. Third song - These Walls - this song has all the feel that the TOT album did. Good song, not their strongest but I enjoy it. Fourth song, IWBY, almost has a U2-style feel in the chorus - most predominantly the way Petrucci phrases his parts - a bit dissonant, but smoothly transitioned. I dig it big time, and I was never a U2 fan.

I'm not as acquainted with the last four songs on the album, but I've been listening to them. All four have their ups and downs, but all in all, I like them. They'll require more time with the music to get a feel for how much I like them.

I give it 1.5 thumbs up thus far. I need more time with the music to make a more in-depth judgment about the album. If you're a DT fan, it's a definite buy, if you're on the fence about DT and are looking for another album the quality of I&W or SFAM, you'll probably want to skip it as it's not for you.

And remember folks, bands evolve, their members evolve, and as a result, their music evolves. No one wants to do the same thing over and over again regardless of its success - there's no fun in that. Change is a part of everything, DT's music included. Have an open mind when listening to the new record. Don't pre-judge it based on what I or anyone else types here. Give it a chance, be open-minded. DT couldn't have stayed in the mode they were 10+ years ago or they'd have crashed and burned long ago - while success is a good thing, I think we'd all be more disappointed if their last five albums were all rehashes of I&W. A great album, yes, but not great when done over... and over... and over... you get the idea.

-Roger

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I'll agree there, I wasn't trying to disuade ANYONE from getting their own copy, but more or less just a personal rant that points out my views.
I don't think DT has "IT" anymore and that is MY personal opinion, nothing more.

Bamm

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Last year's Fates Warning album was better. DT does nothing for me anymore.

The first track on this new one sounds like JP wants to be in a metalcore band, and their singer needs to have his effects taken away, IMO.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Toshiro, you talking about "X" from FW?
I have it, there are some great moments on that album, indeed.
Anyway, thats kind of off topic, but I'm just that kind of person to go and bend the rules a bit...

Bamm

·
Registered
21 Posts
i see some of you may have "downloaded" it, i did too a while ago, but the release was just a re-labeled release of labrie's solo album (check sound clips from amazon.com of his solo album to see if you have it too) which was okay, but seemed alot like fates warning. having heard the radio edits from various sites will give you a better view of the album, besides - it comes out this upcoming tuesday so go out and buy it!

i liked the fates warning album FWX, but i dont think anything they could do could amount to their Pleasant Shade of Gray album, i rock to that album all the time!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with KBH: the same thing happened to me. Most of you who claim to have the album should check the track times listed at the link in the first post in this thread and then remove your posts if they don't match.

-Devin

·
Registered
173 Posts
Unlistenable. "These Walls" has a good, melodic chorus. "The Answer Lies Within" stacks cliche upon cliche, both musically and lyrically. Thankfully, Petrucci stopped the constant speed picking, but he doesn't put enough time into developing the few solo spots he has - each wavers between climax and anti-climax and can't decide which to choose. Ruddess picks some awful keyboard sounds for "I Walk Beside You"'s intro and "Octavarium"

DT needs a producer or at least another pair of ears - he or she doesn't have to be Sir George Martin - to comment on their work before going to press with it. He allowed the Beatles to do the kitschy "secret" clues and backward tracks on "Sgt. Peppers" but focused on effective writing and arranging when they got carried away. Octavarium makes three marginal albums in a row, this being the least redeemable. So much needs improvement; this should have been the album demo.

·
Super Moderator
9,727 Posts
I think it's a good album, how good I haven't yet decided. I like the song "Octavarium" a lot. There's a lot in it that will make you smile if you've been listening to prog since the 70's, like the Oberheim 8 voice samples used for the keyboard solo in the middle, and some of the references around the "asleep for 30 years" bits (blatant references to Beatles songs, Ramones songs, and a few Genesis epics). A lot less Petrucci on this record, but it doesn't really hurt any of the songs.
I'm going to guess most DT "fans" will hate it, because most "DT" fans hate everything after Awake. ;) I don't think I'll find this disk as good as 6DOIT in the end, but I already like it more that ToT.

jim

·
Registered
334 Posts
jim777 said:
I'm going to guess most DT "fans" will hate it, because most "DT" fans hate everything after Awake. ;) I don't think I'll find this disk as good as 6DOIT in the end, but I already like it more that ToT.
I can understand their feelings - to me, Metallica broke up after "And Justice For All" depsite the fact that they're still making what some people call "music" today. However, I don't think you can call yourself a true fan if all you do is point to previous works and whine about how much better they were back in the day...

The whole album is growing on me. I listen to it from start to finish once or twice a day while working or at home, so since getting my hands on the bootleg, I've probably heard the album 30 or so times before purchasing my "official" copy yesterday.

My criticism goes a little further at this point... where Rudess does his keyboard solos, I'd much prefer more guitar work from Petrucci. It seems John and Jordan are sharing or trading off solo time quite a bit in recent works and I'm really not one who enjoys Jordan's keyboard solos - despite his obvious prowess with the instrument, I can't help but feel like it's 1987 all over again every time he lets loose. His playing is a great compliment to the band's overall sound and quality of music, but the keyboard soloing is probably the least enjoyed portion of the album. In the context of Liquid Tension Experiment, their rapport seemed to work, but within the confines of Dream Theater, I just don't have a taste for the sound/feel of the keyboard solos.

-R

·
Super Moderator
9,727 Posts
I think a lot of fans of all bands want every album to sound like the last one (if they liked it, that is). They don't want change or growth. Rudess is a huge part of the band now, and obviously he's got a kindred spirit in Petrucci. I've heard people say they liked Sherinian better, but Sherinian didn't want to be there. Same with Moore; he left when it wasn't fun for him any longer. Obviously on this disk Rudess is having fun, and since he's the new guy AND all over the disk the rest of the band is on board. I think they've decided to push his limits on this disk, and his limits are way, way, way the hell out there. If this album had come out in '79 ELP would have given it up on the spot, and it would be a different musical world now ;) I think that may have occured to DT while they were writing this one.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.