Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...hey guys, probably a noob question...I plan on buying another RG to have just for drop d...due to the floating trem, I was wondering if you have it setup for that tension, it should keep in tune just like any other tuning, correct?...I have no real experience with Floyd style trems, but I'll have the trial by fire soon enough!

I was also thinking of going fixed bridge just for that purpose, but I want something that'll stay in tune no matter how hard I play...maybe something with a peice to make the bar just dive....or install some D tuna type thing.

Comments?

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Gosh...if only there were something that could make a floating bridge into a fixed bridge on-the-fly so you didn't have to change guitars to change tuning.

Somebody should invent that. What would be a good name?

Seriously, though. In the next few weeks you'll be hearing about the release of a new product called the tremol-no - it does just what you're describing here, and more. It's the brainchild of Kevan, a Jemsite contributor of old. Go to www.tremol-no.com and check it out. There's also 13 pages of conversation here http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24572

~K

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
..sounds interesting, but for live situations, wouldn't it still require some time?...I mean, my main guitar now I can throw in and out of Drop D pretty quick..but on a floating trem, it's a different story....wouldn't you still have to bust out a wrench to loosen the nut?

I think something that would instantly fix the bridge, and THEN a d tuna type of device would truly be universal...but the tensions would still affect the other strings after the bottom string is lowered, wouldn't they?

So I guess two guitars is the answer for the time being.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
atarilovesyou said:
..sounds interesting, but for live situations, wouldn't it still require some time?...I mean, my main guitar now I can throw in and out of Drop D pretty quick..but on a floating trem, it's a different story....wouldn't you still have to bust out a wrench to loosen the nut?

I think something that would instantly fix the bridge, and THEN a d tuna type of device would truly be universal...but the tensions would still affect the other strings after the bottom string is lowered, wouldn't they?

So I guess two guitars is the answer for the time being.
Did you look at the website? It's two thumb-screws. no wrench involved. It takes less time than switching to another guitar.

~K

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.