Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with a DS-1 (preferably the Keeley'd version) used as a boost in front of a JSX? (I'm guessing over the crunch channel with the gain dropped).

I ordered a Keeley prior to getting my JSX, not realizing the JSX would be as good as it is. I'm wondering whether I shouldn't even bother with the DS-1 at all.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Try using it on the clean channel. There really isn't a need to add to the crunch or ultra channels, IMO that would sound like doo doo.
If you use it on the clean and it doesn't sound good, then simply put it up for sale and get your cash back.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It isn't in my hands yet.

And I doubt the DS-1 over the clean channel is going to be worth bothering with, Keeley mod'd or otherwise. I guess we'll see when it shows up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have tryed the ds-1 threw a nice tube clean sound and i didnt care for it....
i always thought joe used it to boost a crunch rhythm,,,i know thats how steve vai used/uses it>?.....and it appears in joes live videos thats how he uses it..but i could be wrong

i remember reading joe saying his favorite sound was a ds-1 threw a roland jc 120 and he recorded big bad moon ising a fender twin reverb and a ds-1

the ds-1 does have a richness to it that you can hear in joes playing... just my thoughts

·
Banned
2,459 Posts
I've had a few DS-1's, I like them for a couple days. The JSX doesn't need any boost in the gain channel. But it could use a gain pedal, like I'm using, the BD-2 in the clean for those slightly gainy tones. I do suggest a compressor if you want to give a kick to your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts