Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have tried something like this below, but it doesn't seem to work entirely. My fourth position doesn't seem to differ from the fifth. It differs between the on/off of the toggle switch (so splitting seems to work), but not 'within' (seems that the bridge and neck are not both selected, it appears to be only the neck). I redesigned it. Could you have a look to see if this should work properly?
I basically want: bridge humbucker, bridge split inner coil, single coil+ inner neck split, dual humbucker, and neck humbucker when the switch is down.
In the fourth position, I want the 'tele middle' when the switch is up (outer coils), and a split neck humbucker in fifth. The third position is a byproduct. I guess there's no other possibilities here (single middle in third and split bridge inner+single middle in second position)?

The rationale for the layout of the third and fourth in switch down is to avoid a large difference in volume when switching from neck to dual humbucker mode (otherwise hopping over the split neck+middle).
I guess I can solve this in the future using capacitors cf. Guthrie Govan.
I hope the drawing is somewhat clear :)
I am correct that when the switch is down, the upper connections are made, right?
I guess I don't need to link the hot bridge out to ground if I want to select the second coil, correct in the toggle up position (position 4)? The output of the hot is going nowhere, right? (the inner workings of humbuckers are still not entirely clear considering the start wires).

Thanks for any feedback!
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
571 Posts
Looks intriguing.
Don't you also want to include the neck (split single) and middle single out of phase Hendrix setting as well? Position 2 on both your diagrams is the same otherwise.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've just read it again, think i had it backwards. Your Hendrix neck and middle option is toggle down number 3 isn't it?

Both toggle up and toggle down position two gives you the same voice. Is it possible to have that as middle and bridge singles?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was one of my questions (sorry if it wasn't clear). I then need to connect the SC to lug 2 as well, but then I don't have a split bridge (single inner coil). At least, I don't see it immediately. The only option would then be to install a push/pull I guess, but then my configuration would need to change, and I think I prefer a split bridge in position 2.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I don't need to link the hot bridge out to ground if I want to select the second coil, correct in the toggle up position (position 4)? The output of the hot is going nowhere, right? (the inner workings of humbuckers are still not entirely clear considering the start wires).
Hi guys,

ok, so under normal humbucker split conditions, you connect the south (screw coil) finish and north finish (slug coil) to ground. The start of the slug is actually the hot wire (according to Seymour).
In another example, they connect both finish wires to the north start, canceling out the slug coil, giving an active screw coil. So I'm wondering with the above scheme, if it's ok to just shut off the hot wire and have both the finish ('tap') wires connect to the output to have a screw single coil? If I'm not misinterpreting, this is what also happens in Guthrie Govan's scheme?
I guess as long as the tap wires are connected, and you would connect the hot to ground, all signal is drained?

So the main question here is, if the tap wires remain connected and go to output, and the hot wire is disconnected from output, do I have an active screw single coil (and will my scheme work as intended)? :unsure:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I rewired it, there was a wire broken.
In addition, I think I have a problem when the toggle switch is up and the main switch is in third position. I think everything is sent to ground ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.