Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of solder is BEST for soldering the control wiring to pots?

ive seen people say use silver...then others say to not use silver solder....idk

·
Registered
215 Posts
All we can get over here's lead free these days. I just use the same stuff I wire my switches with, which I believe to be 99.3% tin and 0.7% copper stuff.

Get your iron HOT and you'll also need to heat the pot a bit too for the solder to take hold. I sometimes go a little overboard there and need to leave the pots somewhere to cool.... :S

·
Registered
18 Posts
lightly scratch the suface of the pot at the location you want to solder to!!!

I use a bit of sand paper then wipe the pot clean - makes it sooooo mush easier!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i got a hold of some 60/40 yesterday and I was a Soldering fool...for the first guitar I've ever rewired I don't think I did to bad....a little fuzzy but that's not really an issue for me...what is an issue...is i somehow dont have a volume pot anymore...like i have 2 tone but no volume...could that be me just putting a wire in the wrong spot?

·
Registered
215 Posts
With the volume your left contact should come from your switch, your middle will go to the output jack, and the right should go to ground.

The tone should have the left contact unconnected, the centre should be connected to the left on your vol and the right should have a cap between it and ground.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks. I'll try that when I get off work tonight...i was kinda just guessing...

With the volume your left contact should come from your switch, your middle will go to the output jack, and the right should go to ground.

The tone should have the left contact unconnected, the centre should be connected to the left on your vol and the right should have a cap between it and ground.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Rosin core, not resin core. NOTICE TO ALL: If you can get solder with lead, do so. The lead-free solder that is compliant with the RoHS initiative requires more expertise to use. It generally requires a hotter iron to make a good joint, and quick on/off time. It works best if you make a good solder joint the first time. If you have to re-heat multiple times it almost crystalizes and doesn't flow well anymore. That's part of what made me push forward on the Liberator design. It used to be with leaded solder you could re-solder a million times, add new solder, etc and the joints would always be clean and shiny. Now we have to use RoHS solder on everything. It's great for making pickups, because those joints are made properly, and only once. Plus the irons in our factory are temp regulated and get as hot as we want them to. But installing pickups repeatedly in the guitar is less fun with RoHS solder, and it can fool you into thinking you have a cold joint when you don't. It always hardens a little "frosty" looking. The $10 hardware store soldering iron will have trouble with the RoHS solder.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i had great luck with the 60/40 but i also used .32 or .032 what ever it was...pretty small about pencil lead sized...worked very well

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Hey not sure if you fixed it yet, but I made this for you. While colors need not be the same, this is a damn near universal wiring diagram for you. (edit, I left off the other ground wires to keep it simple for you. All ground wires should be soldered onto the top of the volume pot and grounded to the bridge and output jack)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dude thank you so much...i have gotten a little closer to having it right...i have a volume knob now...but shes a little fuzzy at times...but thats all i need for now...just a back ups back-up...I just bought a Tone Zone thats going into my RG(hope i like it) and im taking the pickup out of my bridge and putting that into my jackson...then when i get my D-activator set...to go in my RG the tone zone is going in the jackson...or my LP havent decided rofl

Hey not sure if you fixed it yet, but I made this for you. While colors need not be the same, this is a damn near universal wiring diagram for you. (edit, I left off the other ground wires to keep it simple for you. All ground wires should be soldered onto the top of the volume pot and grounded to the bridge and output jack)

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
dude thank you so much...i have gotten a little closer to having it right...i have a volume knob now...but shes a little fuzzy at times...but thats all i need for now...just a back ups back-up...I just bought a Tone Zone thats going into my RG(hope i like it) and im taking the pickup out of my bridge and putting that into my jackson...then when i get my D-activator set...to go in my RG the tone zone is going in the jackson...or my LP havent decided rofl
lol glad to help. Those "real" diagrams can be a bit much sometimes! Im going to make some REALLY good ones this weekend.

Now, for the fuzzy volume... guess what... haha ... you most likely need to replace your volume pot! ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well the pot its self isnt fuzzy...the pickup has a hum i guess is what i meant

lol glad to help. Those "real" diagrams can be a bit much sometimes! Im going to make some REALLY good ones this weekend.

Now, for the fuzzy volume... guess what... haha ... you most likely need to replace your volume pot! ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts