Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any advantage/disadvantage to push-push pots or push-pull pots as an on/off switch? Are they pretty much the same and it's just personal preference or is one better than the other? It will be for controlling LEDs. Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not really sure what that meant either but, after discussing it elsewhere, I've decided to go with the push-pull. I was thinking the push-push may be a little quicker and easier to use on the fly but I've been told that the push-push type sticks out more and can get in the way because it needs extra room to do it's little "click" thing at the bottom that throws the switch. Thus it can't be mounted with the knob right against the body like a push-pull can.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Still have no idea what bluealien is going on about. That has nothing to do with the question. If you are referring to the resistance for the LED circuit, that comes from a resistor, not the switch.

It doesn't matter which you use -- it is just a switch attached to a pot. Use whichever one you prefer. But as for the height issue, the push-push is probably still going to be lower than the push-pull when pulled up (or at least no worse). You might want to consider that. Pick the one you like better.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
bluealien said:
The three most basic units in electricity are voltage (V), current (I) and resistance (r). Voltage is measured in volts, current is measured in amps and resistance is measured in ohms.
Yes, you are correct, but a switch is either on (0 ohms or close) or off (infinite or very high resistance). He is looking for a switch to turn LEDs on and off, so your first statement really made no sense, nothing really "handles ohms". I don't know what his setup for the LEDs is, they will need a series resistance to limit the current for the LEDs, you can't just hook up an LED to a battery. But, a pot with a push-pull or push-push switch will work nicely if LEDs are your thing.

Roger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.