Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found there are some pretty stupid and pointless laws out there made by the government, especially those made for "political correctness".

Here's two over here in Australia:

"Singing of the song 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' in public is no longer politically correct and is prohibited, as the word 'black' is racist."

and

"The Fairy Penguin (a small penguin species living off the coast of Western Australia) must now be called the 'Little Penguin', due to the word 'Fairy' being tied to homosexuality."

Those are two very pathetic laws.

I still hear kids singing 'Baa baa black sheep', and everyone except the government and media still calls the Fairy Penguins by their original name.

And I don't blame them... they have a right to, and it's not like the government is going to start arresting everyone who sings a song or calls a penguin by its name.

So my questions to you is: What are the dumbest laws you've heard of, and what country did they come from?

·
Registered
370 Posts
LOL, we have another here in Oz... Santa Claus is not allowed to say "Hoe Hoe Hoe" anymore. How dare that fat man be so politically incorrect :smile:

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Every Englishman must practise with his Bow on the village green each Sunday for at least 1 hour - law still stands..

I do of course follow the law to the letter and cant seem to work out why the rozzers pick me up every sunday afternoon and take me for a nice cup of tea and a chat at their lovely station ;)

·
Registered
940 Posts
I say our santa, sheep and penguin laws are the most pathetic and politically INcorrect laws I've ever seen, it just seems to me that the 'dirtiness' of those sayings that they changed are in the eyes of the beholder, which leads me to believe that the politicians that passed these laws are going around being racist, hurtful and scaring young children!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
How about anytime you hear of someone doing a break and enter hurt themselves in the victims house and they end up suing them. What's that about?

If you are illegally in someone elses house and you trip over and break a leg, tough sh!t I say.

Every couple of months the media picks up on something like this, but the laws never seem to change. :(

Rock on!

·
Banned
2,459 Posts
Helmet laws. Drug laws. Well, pretty much any law that allows one man or group of men to control another man, or group of men.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
there's a ton here, but I'll repeat a few anyway:

- Alabama:
1. It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.

- Alaska:
1. It is illegal to push a live moose out of a moving airplane.

- California:
1. Community leaders passed an ordinance that makes it illegal for anyone to try and stop a child from playfully jumping over puddles of water.

- Oklahoma:
1. Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more on private property

- West Virginia:
1. No children may attend school with their breath smelling of "wild onions."

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
I've found there are some pretty stupid and pointless laws out there made by the government, especially those made for "political correctness".

Here's two over here in Australia:

"Singing of the song 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' in public is no longer politically correct and is prohibited, as the word 'black' is racist."

and

"The Fairy Penguin (a small penguin species living off the coast of Western Australia) must now be called the 'Little Penguin', due to the word 'Fairy' being tied to homosexuality."

Those are two very pathetic laws.

I still hear kids singing 'Baa baa black sheep', and everyone except the government and media still calls the Fairy Penguins by their original name.

And I don't blame them... they have a right to, and it's not like the government is going to start arresting everyone who sings a song or calls a penguin by its name.

So my questions to you is: What are the dumbest laws you've heard of, and what country did they come from?
Ummm where are they listed as law? What legislation covers this? I think someones pulled your leg. The Ho Ho Ho Santa thing is not a law either. From memory it's was banned at shopping centre or something, but it's not law.

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
Helmet laws. Drug laws. Well, pretty much any law that allows one man or group of men to control another man, or group of men.
Come on, grow up and get off it!

Do you feel the same about the 10 commandments? They are a law laid down by and entity for a group of men to judge on......

·
Registered
394 Posts
In erwin NC (here) you cannot
A). Bathe your donkey in a bathtub in your house.
B). Cannot snore loud enough to wake your neighbor.

and everyone tells me every position but missionary is illegal here.....

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
In the Netherlands:

You can't smoke a cigarette in a bar or restaurant. Okay, that's a good thing imo.

But you can smoke a joint in a bar where they sell soft drugs.

·
Registered
298 Posts
UK motorcyclists cannot wear dark visors at any time of day by law because of the risk that they wont be able to see well enough at night.

The nanny state at its freedom robbing, over controlling worst.

Not as dumb as the others on here but its one law i strongly dissagree with and which i think is ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I used to have a nice Fog City amber visor on my Arai, and it was great except at night. I eventually removed it, but it was great during the day in the summer, far better than a pair of sunglasses.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
- Alabama:
1. It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.

- Alaska:
1. It is illegal to push a live moose out of a moving airplane.

It makes you REALLY wanna see the events that prompted this legislation!

I mean really, how often do you see a moose in total freefall, and by the wording of the law, is an Ex-Moose (deceased) ok to be pushed out of an airplane?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
In the Netherlands:

You can't smoke a cigarette in a bar or restaurant. Okay, that's a good thing imo.

But you can smoke a joint in a bar where they sell soft drugs.
That''s not true, actually.

First; a Coffeeshop is not a bar (they won't serve alcohol if they are allowed to sell soft drugs)
Second; they are restricted by the same anti-tobacco laws as all workplaces, meaning whether customer or employee, you can only smoke in a separate, secluded area, where you will not be served by coffeshop personnel.
Third; technically pure weed joints, joints with something else besides tobacco and waterpipes are not subjected to the same restrictions as tobacco. The law provides a tobacco smoke free work environment. It doesn't cover incense, hash, rosemary, barbeque smoke etc.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts