Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm restoring an old washburn kc-70v and I need some help with the pickups. I've got two options: a Dimarzio Evo 2 and a Seymour Duncan JB.
The guitar's got an alder body, rosewood fingerboard and a floyd rose bridge, I plan on playing mostly metal on it, but also some jazz and blues regularly, also the dimarzio pickup is 50% cheaper than the JB.

I'm changing the stock bridge pickup because I think it lacks some balls (sorry about that, couldn't find other word to describe it), also I play through a laney amp (Lx 35) with a zoom g7 pedal.

Thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
The Evo 2 is my favourite bridge pickup, it's like a regular Evolution with less output, treble and resistance (whick makes it more open sounding), but with more mids. I only wish it had the same output as the original Evolution.

As for the JB, I had it installed in my no longer main axe during a period when my preamp was kind of scooped, so I'd rather not compare. I only remember they're very similar.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Based on the material you're playing, I'd go JB.

The JB is easily one of my favorite bridge pickups. It's certainly not the most articulate thing in the world, but it definitely has "balls" to spare.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I love JBs...but I haven't tried the evo2...but I have evos in my Jem and I'm not big on them - too hot and a little harsh...but I've heard good things about the evo2...if the evo2 is 1/2 the price of the JB I think I would go with the evo2 becasue they are both good pups so I'd save the $ and go with the evo2

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for helping me out, I think I'll go with the Evo 2 and save some money to continue restoring the guitar :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts