Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current issue of Guitar One with Eric Johnson on a doubleneck -
has a feature article on a pick!

Evidentely, the Dunlop JAZZ III is some sort of 'super-pic' that major players like Tremonti, Johnson, Laiho and Petrucci use exclusively.

The way these guys are quoted, this pick was a huge part of their ability to play fast and clean. I've never even seen one, let alone try one.

So I went to 3 stores including Daddy's and GC - - -and NOBODY has them...or has even heard of them!

Now these silly little picks are really making me wonder just how much they can help me.....I'm on a quest for Dunlop Jazz III's in red 9 (medium) and black (heavy).

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've found on em an english site, stringsdirect.co.uk . They look rather good and people were really praising them. I'm gonna order some soon.

Reece

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Jazz III are the only picks I use. I flitted between loads before I tried one of these babies out. WOW! Is all I can say. They're perfect in every concievable way.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was extremely cynical of all the praise I kept hearing about these picks, so last year I tried some and I can honestly say I wish I'd discovered them years ago and I intend to use them exclusively from now on. After a minor technique adjustment they helped to clean my playing immensely.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have been using them since the mid 80s! At one point, I was afraid they would stop making them, so I bought every one from the Pro Sound in Colorado springs. I still have unopened bags of them to this day - LOL.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I used them for quite a while.. however,... I changed to ibanez paul gilbert picks. A little bigger, a little more flexable ( more flex and more diverse playing styles ).

The jazz III however will VERY accurately transfer your picking hand movement to the strings.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
I've gone back and forth between them and cool picks. The cool picks are nice because they have the sharp point like the Jazz 3, but they are the size of a regular pick, and are textured so they dont slip.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I've used the Jazz IIIs since I started playing. Every time I pick up a regular pick, it just feels weird. Once in awhile I'll use a lighter pick for acoustic work, but I usually end up using the Jazz IIIs for that as well.

They're just comfy!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I always get mine at music go round, so far all of chains have carried them. I also have both red and black ones and the are exactly the same besides color..btw I actually can't play guitar with any other pick now (the thin one's really make me stumble, and they catch the string so bad compared to the nice beveled edges of the jazz 3's.), so I keep one in my wallet just in case.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I use black Jazz IIIs and absolutely love them. I got my original 3 pack to try them at a local GC, then once I decided I really liked them I mail ordered a bulk pack.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I use Black Gold Jazz III, not the red ones. The red ones were my usual pick at one point, but when I learned Dunlop would not make the red ones with a cool imprint, I had to change. ;) Now I can play hot pink Jazz III, if I order 12,000 picks... :D

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I'm fairly picky when it comes to picks, and I love the Jazz picks

I think Michelle Branch and **** Thomson uses them too.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I've been using a single big stubby for a couple of months now and it's quite comfy. I was using tortex picks before and got really tired of them because the tip was bending due to the thickness of the pick. I finally decided to go with a heavy (1mm) pickc and it's been interesting nonetheless.

If you guys want to buy those Jazz III's, you can go to jimdunlop.com and order them from there.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I have some red Jazz III's. Bought some after reading about Petrucci using them.

I can't play with them... They're too thick and small, and feel really weird in my hand. I much prefer using Fender Premium Heavy's.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I've been using them since I was about 11 years old, after my guitar teacher introduced me to them, and I too have unopened bags of them just in case they get hard to find.

PS It's damn hard to type with a baby on your lap.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Jazz III's rock.

I used to use Jazz III's, then I went to Dunlop Tortex Sharps, then back to Jazz III's.

I also really like the Dunlop Tortex Jazz.

You guys that love the Jazz III's, check out the Tortex Jazz. It has a much sharper attack. It really rocks.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=17&pmh=products/picks

I actually think this pickup is better than the Jazz III, but they are very hard to get, and I only have a few of them, so I have to resort to the Jazz III's for practicality.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts