Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it finally happened, I bought a guitar on the autcion site and recieved a trainwreck (no not the amp) by courier!!!

OK that's an exageration but not by much ;)

Basically that was supposed to be shipped in a "case" was actually shipped in a cheap gig bag and the headstock has practically come off the neck.

I'm not a particularly big e bay user (probably a couple of times a year) so paid by cheque (a trusted 100% positive 500 score feedback seller).

What's my course of action guys?

Don't say I should have paid by paypal - I know that.. Now ;) Who's responsible for sorting the mess that is my RG? Me or the seller? I want to get this moving in the next few days as my wife and I have a baby due this week and I'm hoping the guitar thing can get sorted first ;)

DHL was the courier of the sellers choice and annoyingly this thing only came 50 miles, I'd have been better off collecting it, I only chose to have it delivered to save time :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
If it was insured, the courier should reimburse you for damages. Don't know if you'll get the entire purchase price back though. Contact them first.

Let the Seller know as well, and if you don't have any luck from the courier, unfortunately you'll have to make a deal with the seller to check if he'll accept a return for the shoddy packing.

good luck! and Sorry to hear, mate. i know how disappointing this can be on NGD.

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I've gone back to the seller but I'm not fancying my chances. It might turn into a real project guitar!!! I've never fixed a neck crack from hell before!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought an amp last week which was delivered by TNT, it arrived with a burst speaker and smashed reverb tank (hence my reverb tank thread in the repairs section). Somebody made a joke on the forum the other day about things being delivered by Ace Ventura, that's exactly what the box for my amp looked like...it was round rather than square :D

I don't think there's anything you can do unless the seller is very reasonable and they claim for you.

·
Vendor
26,379 Posts
Some example you're setting for the gen pop!

Was it clearly stated it was in a case in the auction?

I'll assume the packing was not adequate? Or the packing was good enough but the handling was the cause?

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know, I know... I'm just a model moderator ;)

The auction states... "Bodywork has a few dents and knocks, see pics. But could easily be tidied up. Have an old bass case that will be in packed if posting, or collection welcome."

Which to me means hard case. I could be wrong though.

The packing was an old gig bag, wrapped up around the zipper with tape, i wouldn't have taken the guitar to practice in it to be honest!

Having said that I've had response from the seller who's going to look into what they can to make things right :)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Never ever ever sign for it until you open it up and check if its ok!! 99% of the time the guy delivering it will be a witness for you and have a camera handy for pics of the unopened package and then take pics as you are opening it!! This will cover your butt in such cases!! Man i hope you get it sorted...and good luck with the latest edition to your family:)

·
Vendor
26,379 Posts
Very rarely will any driver stand around while you open anything, and bottom line, packed like that there is no claim.

The only way this will be made right is if he fully refunds you for not fullfilling his obligations to :

ship it in a bass case as he claimed
if not in a case at least pack it so that it can withstand carrier shipping.

You know no carrier is going to honor a damage claim with that packing. The good thing is he's only 50 miles away, and you have all the proof you need for a small claims case.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Jono that sucks Bro, However, i and i know many other's OVER pack a guitar to be on the SAFE side, this seller expected a courier (read Paid Vandal) to take good care of it :(

Here's hoping it all sorts itself out and seller comes good at least , and like Rich said above, no courier will wait while you unpack, they just dont have to :(

Rob

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Seller is filing an insurance claim for the damage and we're trying to reach a decent compromise. I'm looking at having the neck repaired by a professional (because apart from the huge crack, the rest of the neck feels super smooth!) and hoping that the seller will coverthe costs of the repairs.

Then I just need a pro set up and new pickups...

Maybe a swirl paintjob...

;)

·
Vendor
26,379 Posts
There's nothing good about this ending. You're bending over and taking it without lube.

It was supposed to be in a case.
He didn't pack it good enough to survive shipping.
The claim will be denied.
When it is he'll probably just say "sorry".
Even if it's repaired perfect, you'll end up with a SEVERELY devalued guitar because the neck was broken and repaired.

You should have demanded a full return, washed your hands of it, and find another guitar. Mr. Softy! ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I weighted up going for a refund as the seller did offer one, no probs.

Value's not a big issue for me on this one, I'm quite happy to keep the gutiar as long as it's playable as I won't be selling this one on anyway.

So, yeah as long as it gets fixed I'm Mr Softy ;)

If it doesn't, I'll be more like Mr Blonde :D

Cue K-BILLY'S "super sounds of the seventies"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts