Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be coming into a bit of money, and I want to finally get the sweet shred guitar I have always wanted...I play shred and instrumental rock in the style of Vai, Timmons and Satriani

I have norrowed it down to one of the new E-Gens and a Charvel Style 1

I dont know the price of the new Ibanez, but I suspect it will be similar to that of the Charvel, if it is lower that money will go to a set of Evolutions (I her that is was Herman used before the HLM was developed?)

so what do you guys think?

·
Registered
695 Posts
The original E-Gen is an absolutely fantasic guitar, but the new one if a low end guitar. Edge 3, Wizard 2 neck, etc. Way better to get a prestige S than one of the new Egens. No idea on the price point though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at some of the RG series, I really like the thick body, but I have just never really been partial to basswood. It has a weird EQ hump in the high mids that I can never get past. That being said those reissues are sweet, and will not rule them out.

How do the neck pickups sound on the double-octave Ibanez neck? Do they still have a fat, singing quality? I know I have played a few 24 fret ESPs, and the neck pickup had no life whatsoever.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You really should try out some S-models.. Mahogany instead of basswood. And the older ones have lo-pro edge (or is it original edge? can't remember) if you prefer "normal" floyd over the zero resistance systems.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
Tell me about it...

I really wish that Ibanez made an Alder RG (not a jem) I would own one in a hearbeat!

I'm off to the guitar store to play some guitars, I'll come back with an update!
Tell me about it! Alder body, maple neck and fretboard would be perfection. I'm considering getting one of those USA production San Dimas guitar specifically because of that.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just got this:

While it is an awesome playing axe, neck is very comfy and feels great. It ain`t better than my 550 re-issue or my 565`s.

For shred axes,Ibanez is tops man, don`t let anyone fool you on that,LOL.

The original wizard (Or the re-issue) is THE neck for shred. The original is a bit nicer, well mainly cause it`s been broken in i guess. The feel of an old Ibanez is pure sex man.

Listen to Jim777, he knows his sh**.

Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I played a few Charvels and a few Ibanezs yesterday...

I played a "real" E-Gen, and I didn't like it, at all. The body is just way too thin, it feels uncomfortable, didn't love the tone, but the picups were awesome. I guess that crosses the E-Gen 8 off the list.

I played a So Cal and a San Dimas and enjoyed them both a lot, I really like the dive only floyd, very comfortable and natural feeling. Didn't love the neck pickup in the San Dimas (Duncan '59) or the bridge pickup in the So Cal (DMZ Tone Zone).

And then I played a JEM...and I wish I hadn't, that guitar is SUBLIME in every way...

How similar is the RG550 reissue to the JEM? With a set of Evos would it get into the same ballpark?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I played a few Charvels and a few Ibanezs yesterday...

I played a "real" E-Gen, and I didn't like it, at all. The body is just way too thin, it feels uncomfortable, didn't love the tone, but the picups were awesome. I guess that crosses the E-Gen 8 off the list.

I played a So Cal and a San Dimas and enjoyed them both a lot, I really like the dive only floyd, very comfortable and natural feeling. Didn't love the neck pickup in the San Dimas (Duncan '59) or the bridge pickup in the So Cal (DMZ Tone Zone).

And then I played a JEM...and I wish I hadn't, that guitar is SUBLIME in every way...

How similar is the RG550 reissue to the JEM? With a set of Evos would it get into the same ballpark?
What Jem did you try?

I had an old 1989 Jem777DVY that had an amazing neck, it was the thinest of the jem necks that was just like a Wizard.

The 550 reissue has an amazing neck, thinner than any jem but like the VDY. It`s really thin that 550 neck, but god damn does it play good.

Depending on wich Jem your talking about, i`d go 550. Except maybe a PMC or GMC. A lockness would be OK too.....:)

Chris

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.