Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The e-string on the bass side is very close to the edge and is prone to slide off the board if I'm not very careful when fretting. Is it possible to loosen the neck, yank it a bit to the right and fasten it again?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's an Edge and it seems to be correctly centered, at least according to the routing.
Here's some pics. Actually its not as bad as it looks at the pic. I guess it's the photoangle, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi StTan

I had a similar problem with an RG550....although in my case it was the high E that was close to the fretboard edge.

I removed the neck completely, during a spring-time clean, and checked the neck pocket. Upon putting the neck back on I inserted a thin shim between the body on the bass side and the neck itself.....while I was putting the neck back in place I applied a little pressure to the edge of the neck....obviously from the bass side to the treble side in my case but opposite in yours.

This all meant that when everything was tuned up and good to go the alignment was improved ten fold. It could maybe do with a slightly thicker shim to be perfect but it play just fine and has improved it no end.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The trem looks kinda off in the pic, but it may be the angle. Yes, you can loosen the screws some, don't loosen them all the way, and shift the neck. It's a common thing to do on bolt-on guitars, an old guitar tech friend of mine showed me many moons ago.

Roger

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
rgr said:
The trem looks kinda off in the pic, but it may be the angle. Yes, you can loosen the screws some, don't loosen them all the way, and shift the neck. It's a common thing to do on bolt-on guitars, an old guitar tech friend of mine showed me many moons ago.

Roger
Yes you can do that. The EBMM EVH model that I have is notorius for the E string slipping off the fretboard and my guitar tech did the same thing (as above) and hasn't slipped off once since it's been done............

·
Registered
517 Posts
it's a neck problem looking at the pictures you posted, the neck is about 3mm out to the top horn of the guitar, just look at the pickup mounting ring to the bottom of the neck you can see how far it's out there, noway a trem problem there bro, the trem sits fine from what i can see, your lucky bro its easy to fix it! Very Nice PGM i bet it sounds good to!
Cheers- Jake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.