Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know "easiest" is a subjective term, and the best way to find a guitar you like is to play as many as possible. That said...

I'm looking to buy a new guitar and want to go with a strat/super-strat style. What do you guys recommend for a guitar that is easy to play fast on, for under $1200?

So far I'm thinking Ibanez RG2550, Charvel So-Cal, or Fender American Standard Strat.

Thanks!
Todd

·
Registered
183 Posts
Play everything with 10's and slightly higher-than-necesarry action for 1 year, then switch to 9's and perfect low action, then everything will feel easy ;)

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you can play fast, you can play fast on pretty much any guitar unless the action is like a half inch high.

<.02 alert>

That said, I would get a Ibby Prestige over a Charvel or Strat any day. If you like Strats, I'd get a Warmoth unless you are lazy or don't have the skills to put it together.

The RG2550 is ok. I would look on fleabay for slightly used ones. If you can wait, there are some good deals to be had on Prestiges there. There is a RG3120F ANT on fleabay right now for $975 b.i.n. I'd recommend that one over a new 2550 any day.

If you don't need a trem guitar, I recommend an RGA121. They can be had for about $500- $600 usually on fleabay.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Actually there's an RGA121 on Music Go Round with upgraded pups for only $400 plus $35 for shipping

Hell of a steal

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I've said it once I'll say it again. Just go and play every guitar you can and see what feels the best for you. That is the only way to know what you like, don't trust another persons opinion on politics and which guitar to buy, that's just stupid.

·
Registered
598 Posts
It's not necessarily stupid just not the greatest thing to do

For most people, threads like these are ways to find good suggestions and get the pros/cons of each instrument they recommend and then they can go and test them out

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
It's not necessarily stupid just not the greatest thing to do

For most people, threads like these are ways to find good suggestions and get the pros/cons of each instrument they recommend and then they can go and test them out
I know what they are for, and for the original poster I wasn't trying to say he or she is stupid. I just meant that, trusting in other people for such a personal choice isn't the best idea. Go ahead and get suggestions, but I say play everything and I mean everything and then decide regardless of what people suggest to you. If I took every suggestion on this forum I would have only looked at boutique gear in the high price ranges for the most part. For what? So I can play alone in my apartment? That's what a lot of us do on this forum. I value other members opinon and I think many of them are great guitarists. I also concede that it is their right to spend any amount of money on any gear they want.

I know botique pedals, amps and custom guitars are great, but I can't afford them, and I don't want to have to, to get a good sound. So I went and tested everything I could afford against everything else. I went with a notebook to write down my immediate thoughts as well as my thoughts after I had time to think and then decided. You don't have to to do that, but I think it's the decision is that individualized. You never know what will do it for you.

Look at me I 'm the only Ibanez player I know besides the members I know on this forum. I'm also the only person who uses a Vox Bulldog distortion and a Roland JC 120. It sounds good for me and does what I want it to. It was pretty cheap. So for me, although no one suggested any of these to me, it is what I think sounds, plays and works the best.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I've said it once I'll say it again. Just go and play every guitar you can and see what feels the best for you. That is the only way to know what you like, don't trust another persons opinion on politics and which guitar to buy, that's just stupid.
Exactly. Guitars are very personal things - ideally, get your hands on as many of your targets as possible and see which one appeals most to you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've always been a Les Paul guy and feel they're easy enough to play... but the easiest guitar to play has to be a Stratocaster. I just have never been much of a strat guy because they never have any balls on their own (stock Fender). I do like modified ones with humbuckers in them.

I just got a new Jem and while I thought it looked easy to play I have to admit it is different. I like it, but I'm not there yet in being 100% used to it.

Remember scale has a lot to do with playability...

For example, PRS is a 24" scale, Gibson has a 24 3/4" scale and Fender and a lot of other strat style guitars out there are 25 1/2" scale. The longer is easier in my opinion.

H

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is the only way to go IMO.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
RG 550 from 1988 1989 1990..... or the reissue.
I waited for that one. :) 550 seems to be the ONLY good guitar ever build.

Seriously..... for 1200 it doesn't matter they are all alike. it comes down to if you like the neckprofile and the color and thats pretty much it. Qualitywise the major players are all in the same league and soundwise most of them are so close. Or do you think you can distinguish a SD59 in a Ibanez from an ESP or Schecter ??
Make sure you don't buy something you take a huge hit if you ever sell, like Washburn (great guitars).

I persoanlly like Strats, especially the Sigs.. from the ones mentioned above the JS is nice.
My easiest, nicest, best playing are without a doubt my BC Rich Mockingbird and my Gibson SG 61RI and the Parker Fly... and i have quite a few to choose from, but the 3 mentioned are not super strats.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
. . . So I went and tested everything I could afford against everything else. I went with a notebook to write down my immediate thoughts as well as my thoughts after I had time to think and then decided. . . .
That notebook thing is a great idea. There's so much gear out there you can get confused.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts