Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Eb tuning a Jem 7VWH - Truss rod question I think!

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Philboski 
#1 ·
I'm attempting to tune my new Jem 7VWH down to Eb. When I did it loosened the tension on the bridge (obviously) and pulled the angle back some. I want to straighten it out and get the proper string tension back but figured I should poll the experts first!

I know I have to adjust the truss rod when I tune down. Do I have to tighten it or loosen it? Loosen it, right? I think this will allow me to tighten the pegs and get the string tension back to normal, and level out the bridge.

Am I missing anything?

#2 ·
You don't necessarily need to adjust the truss rod at all. You will have to lessen the spring tension by loosening the spring claw a small amount.

The way many trems work when floating is that you are balancing spring tension vs string tension on knife edges. By tuning down, you have lessened the string tension. Now, you have to lessen the string tension a corresponding amount to bring the two back into balance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.