Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to sell my guitar collection. I posted and sold stuff on eBay, but after seller fees, paypal, and shipping I'm paying more than a third of the value of the instrument just to sell it. Any suggestions on popular places besides craigslist to sell gear? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Doesn't the buyer pay shipping? if you are losing more than a third of the money you might be doing something wrong.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Doesn't the buyer pay shipping? if you are losing more than a third of the money you might be doing something wrong.
My thoughts too. Yo post your price, taking into consideration any fees, then have the buyer pay actual shipping costs. In the end, if done right--you're not losing anything. In fact, you can actually bank some extra.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
it's pretty sickening isn't it? Fleabay is always geared towards the buyer in favor in every way. I simply do not sell pricey items on there. All guitars go through either craigslist or elsewhere, but all start here first. the only advice on that auction site is to use a reserve, inflate it so that after fees you are getting your asking price, and also suggest a buy it now. The value of the guitar is what you value it as, so some others might see it differently. Sometimes the buyer gets a deal! so to speak. Sorry to hear that you aren't making out on your sales, but in the future come check out the classifieds here on Jemsite. No fees, you set the price and can negotiate if necessary. Buyer can pay shipping, if you ask for it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My thoughts too. Yo post your price, taking into consideration any fees, then have the buyer pay actual shipping costs. In the end, if done right--you're not losing anything. In fact, you can actually bank some extra.
E bay now includes the shipping charges in the final fee amount. At the same time they are constantly, and I mean constantly, after sellers to lower shipping charges. If you are selling some lower cost items, and do flat rate shipping it can actually COST you money to give away an item :sad: On top of that ebay has owned paypal for a while now, so they get you again. Ebay used to be a great place for buyers and sellers, but now it has just become a big rip off. Such a shame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not really looking for tips on how to make eBay work for me, but thanks.

I will try to use jemsite to list a few guitars as you suggested, thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
339 Posts
That's why you have to inflate the price, as Jesse mentioned.
I am not sure how much stuff you sell on ebay, but ebay is pretty strict with S/H charges and is quick to bounce all over a seller if e bay, or a bidder, feels the S/H are too much. E bay, due to its success, can pretty much do whatever it wants now, and requires paypal, and owns it as well. Oh well.....

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
I am not sure how much stuff you sell on ebay, but ebay is pretty strict with S/H charges and is quick to bounce all over a seller if e bay, or a bidder, feels the S/H are too much. E bay, due to its success, can pretty much do whatever it wants now, and requires paypal, and owns it as well. Oh well.....
1. I didn't say inflate shipping costs, I suggeated inflating the asking price and setting a reserve.

2. Ebay does NOT require Paypal, they just own it. You can state payment methods of a few more eBay accepted payment methods: ProPay, Moneybookers, Paymate, pay on pickup.

You eBay noobs need to learn all of the ins and outs of eBay before getting discouraged. Jemsite classifieds is still the way to go on most guitars though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
1. I didn't say inflate shipping costs, I suggeated inflating the asking price and setting a reserve.--reserves often scare off bidders, inflated prices result in lower sales

2. Ebay does NOT require Paypal, they just own it. You can state payment methods of a few more eBay accepted payment methods: ProPay, Moneybookers, Paymate, pay on pickup. -- All these take a precentage.

You eBay noobs need to learn all of the ins and outs of eBay before getting discouraged. Jemsite classifieds is still the way to go on most guitars though.
Some good info in this post, some not so good. To each their own. Good luck to all!

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Some good info in this post, some not so good. To each their own. Good luck to all!
Yeah--I guess that's why I always bank extra dough on my eBay sales. For those of you that don't want their money back plus extra--please ignore my advice...

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
I have to side with bat here. I've had more than a couple of guitars that when I tried to sell on Craislist I was constantly low balled or told I was asking too much only to make about $200 more with a Buy it now price on ebay. A lot less flakes on ebay too. Either people say they have money and are on their way and never show up, ask you to hold something for a week just to change their mind, (and MAYBE tell you), or my favorite is they will talk you down on your price, then expect you to drive an hour each wa yo deliver the guitar to them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts