Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be installing an Edge arm socket into the Edge Pro II trem on the JS100 of one of my students. She's totally worn out the back of the arm where the set-screw is.

I will photograph the job so that others can try this too...

Or maybe I should just make the service available for a fee... hmmmm... I'll think about it!

I'll keep you all posted!

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
Somebody posted a mod of adding some shims under the set screw to keep it from wearing through the rubber [or whatever it is]

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the bridge apart today and there is a nylon-type insert in the original arm socket. It's totaly trashed in this one.

Thanks for the quick service on the parts for this project Rich!

Rich, do you happen to know what the thread size and pitch is on the arm socket?

I'll post pics when the job is complete.

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
I've got no idea, take the holder to the hardware store.

I assume you're drilling, tapping, and countersinking?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rich said:
I've got no idea, take the holder to the hardware store.

I assume you're drilling, tapping, and countersinking?
I'm drilling and tapping, but I don't think the wing is thick enough to countersink. I have to measure it first.

And I guess it's off to Home Depot to find a nut that threads on so that I know what the thead is... :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As promised, here are pics of the finished product, I couldn't tap the hole that the arm holder went into as the thread is non-standard (ie, Ibanez only) and I could not get a tap with the right thread pitch. The socket is a tight fit and there is no movement with the arm in it.

Anyway, here's the pics!

I'm taking any questions you may have!

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
I refuse to believe the thread is proproetary. Most likely your source just didn't have the right tap. Nice looking when finished none the less ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rich said:
I refuse to believe the thread is proproetary. Most likely your source just didn't have the right tap. Nice looking when finished none the less ;)
Well, an 8mm thread is too small and a 10mm thread is to big. I couldn't get my hands on anything that fit properly, so I improvised! :)

Thanks for the compliment on the job Rich! The whole thing is so much nicer feeling than the old...

I'll update the report once I get the guitar strung and floating...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rich said:
That's the stupid thing. I live in Canada, a METRIC country and every fastner place I contacted had no idea if 9mm existed and no one would confirm if they had metric drills or taps in stock...

What a backwards place this is...

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
This is a good idea in my opinion still the new trem is way better than the trs, but nowhere new the original edge designs, but at least they are bridging the gap, an improvement is an improvement and ill take it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts