Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Is the Edge pro a good upgrade for the Edge III?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know / don't care

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Buy a new guitar

Votes: 2 20.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evenin all,

I'm just about to change my Edge III for an Edge pro in my 2007 Jem 555, question is... is there anything I should be aware of???

Also I'm told it's a direct swap so I'm going for it. I'll update this post either way as there are a number of differing posts on this subject.

It's a shame, despite the 555 being a cheapie, it's got a great action and sounds fantastic, it's just the poor trem that lets it down - soft knife edges. Also the trem arm locking grub screw keeps backing out which makes the arm loose which is annoying!

My plan is to keep it, so providing the upgrade works out I'll be happy.

Fezzer :x:

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
AFAIK, the EP is a direct replacement for the EIII. One upgrade you may want to consider is the locking stud upgrade mod. You can find out about this mod at "ibanezrules", there is a link to it at the top of jemsite.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks fwd0120, the locking system looks much more robust and precise. I'll ensure this is done when I upgrade the EIII.
BTW... The Ibanez rules link is very useful.

Cheers

Fez

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well here we are... I purchased an Edge Pro thanks to Max at Cottam Guitars and it fits the cavity of the Edge III in my JEM 555 spot on. The only challenge we had was fitting the new posts. The original posts had Special inserts with a flat side and a metal bridging plate due to them being positioned quite close to the cavity and so were not compatible with the new inserts so we decided to use the existing posts. This was not a problem as the original posts were in good shape and the issue was with the trem knife edges being too soft anyway.

Special thanks to Jon Press at jp-guitars in Bristol, great job and perfect set up.

To reduce any play in the post threads Jon used PTFE tape on them, with good results.

This is a great upgrade!! Now I have no tuning issues even when giving the bar some serious stick and the sound has improved a fair bit and I get better sustain.

So it can be done if your willing to invest a bit. What a shame 555's don't have the EP as standard!

Fez

1 - 5 of 5 Posts