Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyy,

So my friend has an Ibanez RGR420ex, which has the Edge III tremolo system. It's not my problem because I have the S320 with the Zr Tremolo.

So we decided to setup the guitar, as I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to guitar setups and such. We bought some .011-.054 strings (d'addario) and put them on. Then I did the setup, adjusted the springs, stretched the strings, everything. But the bridge has fallen forward....

I've tightened the springs all the way, and now they just barely balance with the strings. By the way, we're in "Drop C" tuning. I know this is very unusual. But nothing could be wrong with the guitar, as he just got it.

We stopped by the guitar store and they recommended we buy the hipshot tremsetter (stupid ppl in retail always tryna make you buy stuff). I haven't installed it yet because I think it was a waste of his money.

Is it possible to buy shorter springs that would have more tension because of that length, and if so, where could we get some.
Also, I'm pretty sure the Edge III only supports three springs, but the guitar came with an extra spring. Could we drill another hole to accomodate that new spring, or what...

Thank you for any help.

-Shane.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
um, i think you just need to put on that extra spring? you shouldn't need to drill anything, doesn't it just slip on like others?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah I hate my Edge III. It's really too bad they put this bridge on so many of their guitars which are pretty good otherwise. A replacement bridge is pretty costly. I have the same issue 12 gauge strings, B tuning, and screws almost all the way into the body. I've replaced all the springs and added two more springs in the screw holes for bar that holds them down. This helps a little. It would probably work better if they weren't fender springs which are a bit longer. I wouldn't recommend it if you use the trem but I have mine locked from going down since the whammy is the worst implementation I've ever seen in my life and it even falls out of the bridge. Anyway my guitar is great other than the bridge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol.
yeaaa. well he was planning on getting shorter springs, then the stupid guy sold him the tremsetter.
i took a look at it, and it looks like theres a lot of work involved. plus i dont think the tremsetter would solve his problem completely.
think so?

·
Registered
9,320 Posts
Are you saying that there is only 3 holes on the trem block because of the spring holder? If so take the spring holder off (your springs shouldn't ever shoot off) and put the springs in an arrow formation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts