Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edge pro route will not accommodate an edge or lo pro

As most people don't read full threads I'm editing this to re-cap

Edge equiped guitars will accommodate Lo-pro without mods.

Lo pro jems will accommodate an Edge trem, Lo pro RG's and JS will NOT accommodate an Edge as the bolts at the rear of an Edge are sticking out too far

Edge Pro guitars will not accommodate Edge or Lo pro trems

That's pretty much it.

ilia

p.s. not sure if accommodate works - couldn't think of a word that kind of means "fit" but in the other way.
E.g. Lo pro will fit in an Edge routed guitar without mods and Edge equiped guitars will accommodate Lo-pro without mods.

p.p.s Here's the pics that show the route/posts were not moved.
When I took those and posted the original thread I was under the impression that post position (not spacing) was the biggest issue but as you can see from the red marked photo the trem route and the short Edge Pro ears are really to blame.
I'm not sure if this is the only issue or if there are other things in the way but I'd be willing to file 2-3mm of Lo Pro ears to see if it can be shoehorned into an Edge pro guitar.
Chancess of me owning one any time soon are slim though so hopefully someone else will try it.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
i believe (and Rich will surely post his findings) that the cavity routes are different from Lo-Pro and Edge to Edge Pro. i didn't know there was any worry of post spacing? the neck specs haven't changed in the width of the fretboards so the spacing wasn't really the problem. i might be missing the point of your post all together.
it sucks the routes for the trems are different as they aren't selling Edge Pros yet.
i personally haven't had ANY issues with my non-locking posts as everyone is worried about though - sorry Rich. my '04 Jem7VWH has just as much stability as my other guitars that do have the post locks. i have to say i don't have a Peterson strobe but i use a Sabine 1100 and i haven't had any stability problems show up on it. i could be the odd-man out with this one though. just my 2cents.
TJ

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah my friend - you are missing the point.
For 2 and a half years people here have claimed (all because of one chat someone had with a clueless rep) that the trem has been redesigned so much that the posts had to be moved back to acomodate for the new saddle design.
Well here it is - posts are in the same spot and edge, lo pro and edge pro have same routes and same dimensions which means you can replace them with each other - much like edge and lo pro are 100% compatible, the edge pro is part of that group and that means you can just drop in an edge pro into 1987 5xx RG as well as drop an Edge into a 2005 jem.
There.

Ok, I'm going to the pub now so the pics won't work until monday - hopefully someone saved them somewhere and would upload them somewhere else with a link here.

ilia

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I am not sure it was the posts that were the issue. Wasn't it something about the knife edges, intonation, spring cavity and trem routes? The only new ones I've seen were at NAMM, so I am no expert on the new trems.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
dex said:
Yeah my friend - you are missing the point.
For 2 and a half years people here have claimed (all because of one chat someone had with a clueless rep) that the trem has been redesigned so much that the posts had to be moved back to acomodate for the new saddle design.
Well here it is - posts are in the same spot and edge, lo pro and edge pro have same routes and same dimensions which means you can replace them with each other - much like edge and lo pro are 100% compatible, the edge pro is part of that group and that means you can just drop in an edge pro into 1987 5xx RG as well as drop an Edge into a 2005 jem.
There.

Ok, I'm going to the pub now so the pics won't work until monday - hopefully someone saved them somewhere and would upload them somewhere else with a link here.

ilia
i haven't pulled my trem from my '04 7VWH yet but i lined it up with a Lo Pro and upon a visual inspection the posts seemed to match but the block and routes are different sizes.
i see where you are goin with the posts but i will still need to confirm the Edge Pro route to Edge or lo Pro possibilty. Rich has had the chance to try it i'm sure and two weeks ago when i talked to him about the possibility he said w/out re-routing the cavity - it can't be done.
again, i haven't tried it yet but i would love it if i could put a Lo Pro or Edge in my Edge Pro equiped Jem. my fingers are crossed but i am not holding my breath.
i don't have any issues with the Edge Pro (plays great), i would just like to be anal and keep the gold from looking like crap.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
those photos are unavailable. i'd like to see them.

it wasn't a stud/spacing issue i was lead to believe the trem would fit but not INTONATE.

i personally have avoided the new trems like the plague and have no retrofitting experience... glen

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
thinking about this from a company point of view - it wouldn't be a wise choice to have any spacing that would cause a change in neck specs (ie: wider or narrower neck) so i'd figure these things wouldn't change w/out causing my issues in production problems but more importantly with the consumer, changing the specs on necks that made Ibanez a choice guitar to play over countless others.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
if that's the case, i'm kinda bummed right now as i just sold/traded of a new chrome Lo Pro Edge that i'd really wanted to drop into my '04 Jem.:(
if this is true, i am very happy as i will get my mits on another one - probably black this time though:)
thanks Andre!

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
screamndemon69 said:
if that's the case, i'm kinda bummed right now as i just sold/traded of a new chrome Lo Pro Edge that i'd really wanted to drop into my '04 Jem.:(
if this is true, i am very happy as i will get my mits on another one - probably black this time though:)
thanks Andre!
Here is the thread where James mentions it :)

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36286

look at the last post on page 1 :).

Regards

André

·
Registered
88 Posts
The routes are different, I already tried to put a lo-pro in my 04' js1200.... the body needs to be routed out quite a bit for it to plop in. Thats as far as I went with it... Im better off painting a 2002 Js1000 candy apple red if I wanted an edge/lo-pro equipped js1200.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
i noticed the spot where they didn't line up in the route was at the front edges where they are angled more steeply for the edge pro and the lo pro is more flat across.
i read the older thread you linked us to and Rich stated that there are intonation issues that are unfixable. why 7 Dying trees didn't have these issues is still unexplained. i am biased to listen to Rich's comments due to the amount of Ibanez trems he deals with and has for many years. he knows these things as well or better than most techs will ever know just for the fact that he goes thru such extensive extremes when setting up and doing maintenance. how many techs take the whole guitar apart - especially a new one?

·
Vendor
26,705 Posts
EKG said:
Where is Rich....I am sure he's already done this.
No, I haven't, I've been far too busy to care in all honesty, and swapping trems in brand new expensive guitars with an unknown quantity result isn't at the top of my list of things to do.

First, this wasn't some "chat" with some misguided rep, it was a direct question asked by a Serlui tech [a factory owned distributor just like HUSA] to the production manager for Fugijen, and why it deserved the credence it's been given.

On the surface it looks just like they say.
Lo Pro - 6mm spacing between bridge rout and bridge pup

Edge Pro, 10mm spacing.

That is a FOUR mm difference, not chump change.

But, putting 2 saddles side by side, with the front noses aligned, the string contact point is still the same. [go figure that, this was supposed to be the real culprit]

I have no idea if one will swap, some have said they tried and it won't without work. James said his tech did it [which means his tech could have chopped the guts out of his to make it fit, it was NOT specified] But for some reason there is still a 4mm difference between the bridge rout and pickup between the two.

I have no idea what the pics above show, because nobody can see them, but if it's not a Lo Pro installed in an EP rout without mod [or vice versa], what proof?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I can see the corners of the routes are different. The larger radius in the newer routes could pose a problem with the LoPro/Edge trems.
The saddle looks like it has more adjustment for intonantion.
Could the pup route be moved?
The post should be 7mm from the front edge (bridge pup) of the trem route.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
can you measure from the 24th fret to the center/stud and center/stud to the saddle contact point?

ideally you need that ruler from the 24th fret going next to the saddle where the string touches it (on both axes) ...glen

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have dropped an edge pro from an 04 rg1570 into a 2000 rg520qs body. It fits, but there is a part that needs routed out between the two studs in order to allow the full range of motion. I did have to adjust the intonation a bit, but there was plenty of room to get it right.

-Greg

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.