Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel silly asking, because I know people use 4-5 springs all the time, but...

I recently increased my string gauge from 9-56 to 10-56 on my Edge Pro 7-equipped guitars. With the exception of the low B, every string gauge increased a bit.

I've cranked the trem claw nearly all the way to the body, and I'm still not achieving tension balance between strings and springs. The trem is tilted too far forward, and I'm still not up to standard pitch.

So, I want to add a 4th spring. No problem, but on the EP7 this means you can no longer use the block lock. I've ALWAYS used a block lock, and just want to make sure those springs aren't gonna pop off the trem block the first time I do a Vai-style pull up.

For those unaware, the "block lock" is the little spring retainer bar that prevents the springs from popping off the trem block.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I feel silly asking, because I know people use 4-5 springs all the time, but...

I recently increased my string gauge from 9-56 to 10-56 on my Edge Pro 7-equipped guitars. With the exception of the low B, every string gauge increased a bit.

I've cranked the trem claw nearly all the way to the body, and I'm still not achieving tension balance between strings and springs. The trem is tilted too far forward, and I'm still not up to standard pitch.

So, I want to add a 4th spring. No problem, but on the EP7 this means you can no longer use the block lock. I've ALWAYS used a block lock, and just want to make sure those springs aren't gonna pop off the trem block the first time I do a Vai-style pull up.

For those unaware, the "block lock" is the little spring retainer bar that prevents the springs from popping off the trem block.
Actually, I use 4 springs on my 7620 and still keep the block lock. The lock really only needs one screw to keep it in place well enough. It just means putting the springs in a 3-1 type of arrangement, but that works perfectly fine too.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I use 4 springs on my 7620 and still keep the block lock. The lock really only needs one screw to keep it in place well enough. It just means putting the springs in a 3-1 type of arrangement, but that works perfectly fine too.
Ahhhhh... okay. I had thought about this, but being a guy obsessed with symmetry, I assumed they needed to be 2-2 (evenly spaced)... which would indeed eliminate the screw holes.

You don't have any problems with the bar going wonky (misaligned) on you?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Ahhhhh... okay. I had thought about this, but being a guy obsessed with symmetry, I assumed they needed to be 2-2 (evenly spaced)... which would indeed eliminate the screw holes.

You don't have any problems with the bar going wonky (misaligned) on you?
Certainly not, string tension would prevent that from ever happening regardless.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Certainly not, string tension would prevent that from ever happening regardless.
Actually, by "bar" I was referring to the block lock. Seems like, with only 1 screw holding it, it could still pivot one direction or another. But alas, I'm over-analyzing. I'll give that a try tonight.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
I've got one of my guitars that has had a missing retainer bar for maybe 6-7 years now. Springs have never fallen off. Don't worry about it! ;)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Actually, by "bar" I was referring to the block lock. Seems like, with only 1 screw holding it, it could still pivot one direction or another. But alas, I'm over-analyzing. I'll give that a try tonight.

Thanks for the info!
Oh that, no as long as the one screw is fairly tight, there's no forces acting on the lock bar in that direction that would cause it to become misaligned really.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got one of my guitars that has had a missing retainer bar for maybe 6-7 years now. Springs have never fallen off. Don't worry about it! ;)
Okay. I'm probably the only dude who wears safety glasses when I'm working back there, heh. So yeah, I'm probably just being paranoid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts