Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I bought a used RG1550 1 year ago and when I do a pull up, the prevents to go further hiting the body. I thought it was normal but a couple of weeks ago the block was losen so I remove the trem and screw it again and I found out that the screw-holes in the block where in angle and the plate didn't stay perpendicular to the block. The block is in an angle leaning forward.

Is this normal? If it's not, giving that I can't return it, which solution do you recommend? Changing the block? removing wood? Other?

It is similar to what's described here:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/edge-pro-trem-block-questions-cant-pull-up-132592-2.html

thanks!
brgds
HPM

·
Banned
983 Posts
Hi everyone,
I bought a used RG1550 1 year ago and when I do a pull up, the prevents to go further hiting the body. I thought it was normal but a couple of weeks ago the block was losen so I remove the trem and screw it again and I found out that the screw-holes in the block where in angle and the plate didn't stay perpendicular to the block. The block is in an angle leaning forward.

Is this normal? If it's not, giving that I can't return it, which solution do you recommend? Changing the block? removing wood? Other?

It is similar to what's described here:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/edge-pro-trem-block-questions-cant-pull-up-132592-2.html

thanks!
brgds
HPM
unscrew, remove, turn 180 deg, screw again

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried, but the holes are not perpendicular so the screws won't enter perpendicular.
Which would be the normal pull-up pitch rise? In the first E .09 I get 2 semitones.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Should be 5 semitones at least but on G string, ( 3rd). Type name of tremolo in any search engine, and compare picture on the web with your situation. If your tremolo looks different,I mean block angle, try to find somebody with more expirience, to check what is going on with those threads. Edge Pro is (to me) the best Ibanez tremolo, and you do not want to damage it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the same issue on my rg1527 (edge pro trem) the threaded holes in the block had stripped a half cm and were not securely holding the block in place,I bought some replacement screws that were the same type just a little longer from a hardware store and I haven't had a problem since. I don't recall the size and I'm not on my PC so I can't post pictures that I took of the bridge at the time, But take your trem apart,remove the string saddles and you will see the screw heads I'm talking about- take them to a decent hardware store and they should be able to get replacement ones for you.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I bought replacement stainless steel screws - the stock shorter screws are indeed prone to coming loose, especially with high string/spring tension scenarios...
*touch wood* the longer (15mm) screws I put in made for a much better strong hold... the stock ones came loose within a day....
I believe they are M3, and you need countersunk head, and I recommend getting hex head ones while you're at it... less prone to burring up with a good hex wrench.

(And I recall that 15 or 16mm was the maximum depth that would work in there regarding the threaded holes' depths etc.)

·
Banned
983 Posts
I believe M3 is tiny for this application (m3 are the saddle screws), might be M4 (nut bolt diameter). In any case, if you still have problems and the rest of the thread's length gets damaged, then you might try to repair the threads with some v-coil (helicoil or other) repair kit. I have done this to 2 of my floyds with stripped saddle screw hole's threads and it worked very nice. Never looked back.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I guess you haven't looked at an EdgePro block - multiple screws, smaller... you're thinking of an Edge/LoPro block, which have the Floyd Rose-like 3-large screw arrangement.
Because of all of the through-casting apertures they had to leave in the body of the trem to allow for the string ball end cup parts, passage, and movement, they had to work with less metal in between each saddle station: they put the smaller M3 screws in.
I just looked again at my spares to confirm: M3 x 15mm

Yes that's the spec for the saddle screws as well (although those are button-head, and for this you need flat/countersunk head).

Putting in the longer and stainless screws stopped the excursion of my RG1527CB's trem - and next time I field-strip my other EdgePro equipped guitars, I'll be taking those apart and replacing them as well.
And it won't surprise me to find those blocks having worked loose as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't believe that using longer screws will help. I believe that the holes aren't perpendicular. Look at this photo, you can see the screws not perpendicular.

and here yo can see the gap that produces between the block and the plate:

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
I don't believe that using longer screws will help. I believe that the holes aren't perpendicular. Look at this photo, you can see the screws not perpendicular.

and here yo can see the gap that produces between the block and the plate:
It looks kind of screwed there, pardon the pun. If you need a replacement block I've got one. Just pm me if you're interested. I think I may have spare screws as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It worked!!! 16mm and it works perefectly, thanks @steve

I bought replacement stainless steel screws - the stock shorter screws are indeed prone to coming loose, especially with high string/spring tension scenarios...
*touch wood* the longer (15mm) screws I put in made for a much better strong hold... the stock ones came loose within a day....
I believe they are M3, and you need countersunk head, and I recommend getting hex head ones while you're at it... less prone to burring up with a good hex wrench.

(And I recall that 15 or 16mm was the maximum depth that would work in there regarding the threaded holes' depths etc.)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ah excellent - good stuff.
Certainly solved my issue with my one particular EdgePro7 from a 2003 RG1527CB that I acquired in remarkable condition, but I found was plagued with this same issue - the block was loose, and kept working loose repeatedly, and fairly quickly.
15/16mm screws as above, and *knock on wood* that baby's been solid ever since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts