Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I do a dive bomb, the E(9) B G and D go a 1/4 sharp and the low E(42) goes a 1/4 flat (the A is fine). By the way, I have stretched my strings fully and I mean FULLY, I've stretched them twice now. I also have the correct trem angle so it's not that. It's never this bad, the only thing that has changed on the guitar is that I've installed the locking stud mod from Rich (and I thought that was meant to improve things!) and applied some chapstick to the studs.

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Try pulling back every now and then if you're going flat from dive bombs. Should counteract the going flat by raising it sharp a bit. But this is happening even with the locking stud mod? Hmmm...

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
Locking stud mod doesn't cure bad procedure -

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/lockdown.htm

Or allot of the many problems like loose nuts, etc. that can throw tuning off. It's not a miracle cure.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/tuning_stability.htm

Had this local kid that kept calling about how bad his JS1000 would go out of tune. I kept telling him he wasn't stretching strings enough, to which he'd reply he stretched them till they wouldn't stretch anymore. He finally came over, I grabed the low E and yanked it once, right down to C. Stretched, yea......

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ZJH said:
Try pulling back every now and then if you're going flat from dive bombs. Should counteract the going flat by raising it sharp a bit. But this is happening even with the locking stud mod? Hmmm...
The majority of the strings are going sharp not flat. When I depress the bar I can feel a tiny 'clunk'. After inspecting last night I found that the ground cable on the spring claw seems as if it gets trapped with the spring near the edge. So I repositioned the springs to /¦\. At the same time I put new strings on and stretched them.

I've just woken up so I will grab some breakfas,t then stretch the strings some more and see if the problem persists.

Rich - I got one westion about stretching strings. Once the strings a fully stretched (i.e. so I can stretch them twice without them going out), do they need stretching in the future i.e. when they've had a bit of play and they get left? I mean, strings must have a 'memory' like the springs and if you leave the guitar for a day or so, do the strings retain their tension? With the last set that were on I stretched them fully (as per your instructions) but found they needed further stretching a week later.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, It was definately the spring setup. I had them in parallel and the one kept crushing the ground cable against the guitar body. I have had them in /|\ formation now for a while and the tuning stability is the best it's ever been, especially now with the locking stud mod. cheers rich.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.