Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I would like to know the dirrence between the lo-pro and the edge....probably been done before but o well. What are some major differnces that make each other differnt or better from each.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Well the Lo-Pro came with locking studs usually which was a big plus. The knife edges on some of the earlier Lo-Pros were bad but from around 99-02 usually had near perfect knife edges.

The Edge Pro allows you to keep the ball ends on, has better intonation but often the knife edges are bad. Edge Pros do not ship with locking studs.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I personally find that the Lo-pro Edge is a better trem in every way than the newer Edge-pro.

I owned one '03 RG with the Edge-Pro and i just hated it. I used the guitar very little because of this and sold it shortly after.It didn't return to pitch, didn't stay in tune and so on...........

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Dunno what was wrong with your guitar because all of the double-locking trems that I've used from Ibanez (EP/EPII/EIII) have excellent return the pitch and the differences are more with how fluid they are. I just played on two Edge Pro's today (one on a RG 1570 and the other on a JEM7V) and one Edge Pro II (on a RG320DXFM) not to mention the Edge III on my RG370DX and I've gotta say that all of them have excellent return to pitch but the Edge Pro is definitely the most fluid of the bunch. In fact, I was quite "Vai-olent" with both Edge Pro's in the store and they stayed in tune perfectly.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm not alone in thinking the Edge-Pro is inferior to the Edge/Lo-Pro.

In fact if you have a good look through this site you'll see that the majority of the Ibanez users prefer the earlier trems(and also ALL Ibanez Endorsed artists.Vai,Satriani,Korn etc. etc.).

If you prefer the Edge-Pro and you're happy with it then that's great, but personally i don't.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
To each their own. You can pretty easily find used Ibanez guitar with Edge/Lo Pro trems on them and even swap them out with new Edge/Lo Pro trems if they are worn out (and this is generally cheaper than buying a brand new guitar). Definitely go after what you're most comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
JTM45 said:
I personally find that the Lo-pro Edge is a better trem in every way than the newer Edge-pro.

I owned one '03 RG with the Edge-Pro and i just hated it. I used the guitar very little because of this and sold it shortly after.It didn't return to pitch, didn't stay in tune and so on...........
Sounds like you needed a setup pretty badly.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The guitar was set up by a few different techs and none of them could get the Edge-Pro to work anywhere near as well as my Lo-Pro's.

It's not the only Edge-pro that i've tried that's been a total pain in the ass either.

I'll just stick with Lo-Pro's in the future.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
JTM45 said:
The guitar was set up by a few different techs and none of them could get the Edge-Pro to work anywhere near as well as my Lo-Pro's.

It's not the only Edge-pro that i've tried that's been a total pain in the ass either.

I'll just stick with Lo-Pro's in the future.
I'll get the damn Edge Pro to work. Send it to me and be amazed!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
JTM45 said:
I'm not alone in thinking the Edge-Pro is inferior to the Edge/Lo-Pro.

In fact if you have a good look through this site you'll see that the majority of the Ibanez users prefer the earlier trems(and also ALL Ibanez Endorsed artists.Vai,Satriani,Korn etc. etc.).

If you prefer the Edge-Pro and you're happy with it then that's great, but personally i don't.
Actualyl Satriani uses all Edge Pro's now.

Myself, I really don't care which trem I have. They all work great and I think a lot of the Edge Pro garbage you hear is due to people's fondness of the Lo-Pros and unwilling to admit anything else is as good or a **** setup job!

·
Registered
873 Posts
to be honest.. i'm trouble keeping my lo pro in tune as well now.. it worked for a long time awesomly.. and no does the go sharp on pull ups and return on push downs, even after new studs.. so i dunno.. i have both my lo pro edge and pro edge pro blocked at the moment. may stay like that too.. i'm finding myself not needing them anyway. stick with edge original :)..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.