Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an RG 2550E with an Edge Pro trem. The problem Im having is that the strings are to tight. I have three springs in the normal configuration( parallel to each other). The bridge angle is just about right, parallel with the body, and Im using D'Addario 9-42 gauge strings. So basically when I tune it up to pitch and the bridge is at the right angle the strings tighten to the point where I can only bend them about a half step.

I would really appreciate any help, ask me if you need more info, thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Have you tried removing one of the springs and tightening the claw to the body?

Or maybe stop being a girl :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Led_Fingers said:
Hi, I have an RG 2550E with an Edge Pro trem. The problem Im having is that the strings are to tight. I have three springs in the normal configuration( parallel to each other). The bridge angle is just about right, parallel with the body, and Im using D'Addario 9-42 gauge strings. So basically when I tune it up to pitch and the bridge is at the right angle the strings tighten to the point where I can only bend them about a half step.

I would really appreciate any help, ask me if you need more info, thanks.
I have the same guitar- brand New and I have to setting up the trust rod!

Pls send some photos of EDGE and strings and Neck!!!

Regards
Dimitar

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Actually is it brand new?
If so maybe try really using the whammy bar a bit and see if that brakes the springs in a little.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Doesn't matter if you have a hard tail or a floating trem... if the neck length is the same (i.e., say the same guitar with two bridge types), the tension on a given gauge of strings is the same when the strings are tuned to perfect pitch using a tuner.

So, use a tuner... else, post some pictures. Not sure what you're talking about really. Sorry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well its about 3 weeks breaking it in now, it felt fine when I first played it( with the strings Ibanez put in) but now that I put in these new strings it is way to tight, like they could break if I were to bend them a a whole step.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Most probable cause is the 3 springs are pretty closed when the trem is at the correct angle so they don't feel spongy and the percieved tighness of the guitar is like on a fixed bridge.
Take the middle spring out and connect the 1 and 3 springs in / \ configuration, then crank on the spring claw holder until the trem comes back level and the guitar is in tune.
Having the springs more open will make them much more responsive and the strings will feel lighter to the touch because the trem will have more give.

ilia

·
Vendor
26,378 Posts
Did you screw the springs in to get the trem into neutral position after you changed the strings? My guess is spring shock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts