Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just received my first RG550 with the original edge on it.
I am very comfortable with floyd's esp the lo pro which i have been using for years and never had an issue. I do all of my own tech work.
Now the issue here is that i get the guitar completely setup but when I look from the back of the guitar lying flat up the neck the edge seems tilted, like the high E side is higher than the low E even though that trem post is a tad lower than the low e side. god I hope that makes sense. I've looked all over but cannot figure this one out-any help would be greatly appreciated!-Matt

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I have notice that the mounting stud insert on the high e side is 5 mm higher than the low e side. The low e side is almost flush and the high e side is almost to the top of the cavity? this can't be correct?

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the height of the inserts. Unless you have your posts screwed fully in, it doesn't make a difference. What does make a difference is whether the inserts are fully seated into the body.

I think have a good idea of what your saying about the neck. The important part is where the neck appears to be higher....i.e. the high register (20-24), mid register (9-19), low (nut-6th), or the whole neck?? There are several things that can cause this and different fixes for each. The first thing to do is to measure the height of the neck at the fretboard/neck joint on both the bass and treble sides. This shouldn't be done with the neck attached to the body, as the body can throw off your measurements. Rather, remove the neck, clamp the heel to a VERY straight-flat surface. A glass-top table or stone counter top do well for this. Obviously the headstock will need to hang past whatever surface you using. Doing this you will find out if you have any neck twist or an unevenly cut heel. If all the measurements match (high side-low side-each fret) then you neck is fine.

The next area of concern would be the neck pocket........we can talk about that after you check the neck. I'm nursing a killer hangover right now, any more typing on my part will be difficult today.....LOL.

Note to anyone concerned: I CANNOT hang with the 20-something crowd in whats called the "hottest, most exclusive" club in Chicago anymore.......Geez am I old now!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
What about your neck "problem"??? By far the more important of the two. Also, if you had to tap the insert down, I hope you used some CA around it to keep it still. It will come back out if you did not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts