Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I've been playing Ibby Edge trems since forever and I've never had one that I couldn't get reasonably right. But this one has me pulling my hair out. It's a 1989 RG760 that picked up recently. I rewired it (thank you all) and I've set up the trem to my normal setup standards. I've tightened everything, got the trem floating perfectly, stretched the hell out of the springs . . . but no matter what I do this one won't stay in tune with any trem abuse. Usually if I drop the trem it will stay a bit flat and if I pull up it stays a bit sharp (usually). Dipping the trem sorts the problem sometimes but not always. In fact sometimes it gets worse. If I drop/pull up a even a whole step it randomly returns audibly out of tune. It's about to drive me nuts.

I've read every word on Ibanez Rules (because that site RULES) and I noticed that there were weird posts for a while in the late 80's/early 90's that would bind . I pulled the posts to check and they look like the problematic ones on Rich's site. Are the posts below those sort of posts? If so where do I go to get the correct ones?

Camera accessory Material property Font Auto part Automotive tire

Thank you all again!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would check the nut as well. Make sure the mounting screws are all the way tight. Could also be time to replace the springs. Could also be loose stud anchors as Rich said.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Rich has mentioned to me in The past that it can be fixed with some CA glue... He'd have to fill you in on exactly the method... However... Do you lube your posts and knife edges? If your anchors look good. (If your trem is in the guitar) Turn your posts out 180 degrees... Add a little chapstick to your posts on the pickup side of them... Turn them back around to the bridge side and work the chapstick in. Method per our very own Rich Harris... If your trem is out then just apply it before popping it back in. It seems like I need to do this every few string changes to keep my 30+ year old edge trems staying zeroed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stud anchors are tight as heck. No problems there. Chapstick is used during string changes to keep things lubed up. The locking nut bolts are 1/4 turn tight. Maybe it's the springs?

I have 7 Floyd/Ibanez double locking floaters in the house right now. I've had many over my lifetime and this is the first one that's got me at my wits end.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Could be... Are there any shim under the nut? The frets may have been leveled at some point... And shim removed from under the nut. Sometimes this can cause the Allen screws holding the nut in place to protrude a little to far. This can cause the nut string clamps to come in contact with the screws instead of the strings. If it's not that, then is has to be springs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be... Are there any shim under the nut? The frets may have been leveled at some point... And shim removed from under the nut. Sometimes this can cause the Allen screws holding the nut in place to protrude a little to far. This can cause the nut string clamps to come in contact with the screws instead of the strings. If it's not that, then is has to be springs.
I'll check that. Thank you for your help! We'll chase this one down . . . we've gotta keep the 80's Ibanez guitars alive and rocking!

·
Registered
16 Posts
When the stud check fails, for me, I check the screws holding the spring claw are all good.

That, in my case, has always been the fix if the studs and nut are o.k.

Just IME

1 - 10 of 10 Posts