Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Edge zero II - What does the locking stud bolt do?

8K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  gizemkayhan89 
#1 ·
Hi there

I've been looking at adjusting the action on my guitar with an Edge zero II tremolo and I have a few questions and concerns I was hoping someone could help me out with.
ive attached a picture of the instructions I have been looking at

In short, what does tightening the stud bolt until it can no longer rotate with the 2mm hex key do?
Is this something i need to do before adjusting the action with the 3mm hex key?
can i still use the tremolo normally and safely while its fully tightened? is my guitar going to explode if i remove the strings while it's still tightened?

Thanks for any advice in advance

Ray

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The idea of tightening the locking screw is to make the assembly as solid as possible for maximum transfer of vibration. The outer threads of the stud have a small amount of slop and the locking screw takes all that slop away when tightened. Can you hear or feel the difference? Tough to say but you can decide for yourself easy enough, loosen those screws up and play it. The tighten them and listen again. The most important thing to do with those is to remember to back them out BEFORE adjusting the studs up or down!!! Forgetting is why some RG and JEM guitars have busted tops on the studs...

#3 ·
Hi there

I've been looking at adjusting the action on my guitar with an Edge zero II tremolo and I have a few questions and concerns I was hoping someone could help me out with.
ive attached a picture of the instructions I have been looking at

In short, what does tightening the stud bolt until it can no longer rotate with the 2mm hex key do?
Is this something i need to do before adjusting the action with the 3mm hex key?
can i still use the tremolo normally and safely while its fully tightened? is my guitar going to explode if i remove the strings while it's still tightened?

Thanks for any advice in advance

Ray
same as me i am confused, 2 mm key to adjust stud bolt and then using 3 mm key to adjust action ??
is there something different here are there two different mechanism inside ???

#7 ·
thanks for your help
we "always gonna lock the stud" after adjusting action is that right ?
it doesnt matter raise or lower the action but afterthat you will lock the stud no matter what you did?
i started to think that when lowering or raising action it somehow moves the stud (mechanism moving together or maybe i am just idiot)
i need your answers

#14 ·
There's the stud that the bridge's knife edges rests on. Inside that stud is a setscrew. that setscrew locks the stud to the anchor that the stud screws into. The anchor is what is inserted into the body allowing the stud to screw into the body...

If you are lowering your action, back out the stud... That will make the the assembly (the stud and setscrew) back out enough to release the "lock" on the anchor. Then back the setscrew out a bit inside the stud... This will allow you to screw the stud further into the anchor, this will lowering the bridge. Then once the stud is where you want it... Screw the setscrew (that is the screw inside the stud) in until you feel it stop. Then give the stud another small turn tighter to actually firmly lock it all in place.

If you are raising the action, back off the stud to the desired height... Then screw the setscrew in until it bottoms out into the anchor. Once you feel the setscrew stop, tighten the stud just a little more to firmly lock it all in place.

#15 ·
There's the stud that the bridge's knife edges rests on. Inside that stud is a setscrew. that setscrew locks the stud to the anchor that the stud screws into. The anchor is what is inserted into the body allowing the stud to screw into the body...

If you are lowering your action, back out the stud... That will make the the assembly (the stud and setscrew) back out enough to release the "lock" on the anchor. Then back the setscrew out a bit inside the stud... This will allow you to screw the stud further into the anchor, this will lowering the bridge. Then once the stud is where you want it... Screw the setscrew (that is the screw inside the stud) in until you feel it stop. Then give the stud another small turn tighter to actually firmly lock it all in place.

If you are raising the action, back off the stud to the desired height... Then screw the setscrew in until it bottoms out into the anchor. Once you feel the setscrew stop, tighten the stud just a little more to firmly lock it all in place.
Thank you. Would you re-write my tech section please? ;)

#25 ·
i changed strings everything ok the guitar stays tune perfectly now and i didnt locked the nut yet but something wrong i think, because the tremolo block is not contact with the stop rod there is a little gap here i did a lot of work at least 1 hour tried + or - direction for the touch tremolo block with stop rod but couldnt succeded what need to do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.