Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am getting more into effects pedals and I am stumped by what I thought would be the simplest little problem. Three stores and much googling later, here I am back at Jemsite.

How do I power my pedals besides using up 9V batteries? Right now I just have my Vox Satchurator (which didn't come with an AC adaptor) but I will be getting a delay pedal soon.

The general purpose adaptors I looked at in electronics stores are rated in milliamps as well as volts. I have no idea which one I need in terms of milliamps. I know the Satchurator has a negative center pin but I often can't tell which adaptor has a negative center.

I would go with a $10 multi-adaptor with many different plugs/settings but I am worried about damaging my effects in an attempt to save money.

Can y'all please help me figure this out?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Don't go with a cheap adaptor with the many plugs.

With regards to milliamps (mA) you need to look at each of your pedals, they will state their mA consumption. You need to add up each pedals mA requirements, and make sure you get an adaptor that rates higher than your total to ensure you have no power issues.

I'd definitely recommend spending a little more than you would on a basic wall wart as they can have noise issues. I'd recommend a Sanyo Pedal Juice as it's actually a rechargeable lithium ion battery so there are no noise issues as to you don't plug it in the wall while playing, only for recharging.

Check out my review here on Jemsite or on my blog http://www.lonephantom.com

·
Registered
45 Posts
You should take a look at the Sanyo Pedal Juice. I seen a demo on youtube for it and it looks pretty cool. It has two outputs but you can always daisy chain it so you can power more pedals. It is rechargeable so, if you are giging you dont have to run a power cord for your pedals. And it is designed specifically for guitar pedals so you wouldnt have any problems with compatability of sorts. Here is the link to the description on the website http://us.sanyo.com/Pedal-Juice

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
You should take a look at the Sanyo Pedal Juice. I seen a demo on youtube for it and it looks pretty cool. It has two outputs but you can always daisy chain it so you can power more pedals. It is rechargeable so, if you are giging you dont have to run a power cord for your pedals. And it is designed specifically for guitar pedals so you wouldnt have any problems with compatability of sorts. Here is the link to the description on the website http://us.sanyo.com/Pedal-Juice
pretty sweet, but costs 150 dollars o_O

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, lots of good information.

LonePhantom, that's a nice blog. I enjoyed it and I was happy to read the recent good news about your family. Too bad I didn't get to work in Canberra and meet you. Thanks for the mA info.

I never heard of the Pedal Juice. Looks nice. I will probably go with an adaptor/daisy chain (like the one linuxpenguin posted, thank you for that) but I will stay away from those really cheap one with the switchable plugs.

Peace

Mike

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys, lots of good information.

LonePhantom, that's a nice blog. I enjoyed it and I was happy to read the recent good news about your family. Too bad I didn't get to work in Canberra and meet you. Thanks for the mA info.

I never heard of the Pedal Juice. Looks nice. I will probably go with an adaptor/daisy chain (like the one linuxpenguin posted, thank you for that) but I will stay away from those really cheap one with the switchable plugs.

Peace

Mike
Ive had the same 1 spot for 5 years(I think! its been a long time) if you are concerned about reliability.

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
easy answer = buy an fx processor like rocktron xpression or tc g major.They have their own ac adaptors and some are connected direct to the wall.And both sound really good and cheapier than buying all effects they have separetely.
Plus they are programmable and no dumb feet tap dancing at the stage ;)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I went from batteries to cheap power supplies to 1Spot to a T-Rex Fueltank and now the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+.

1Spot is the best value for money and not very noisy if you're running a few pedals. Super reliable too.

Fueltank and PP2+ are not exactly affordable but they're worth every cent/penny.

·
Registered
127 Posts
As mentioned, you need to add the milliamps of all pedals to get a total mA value. Buy a power supply that well exceeds this total value so you have extra mA available if you add more pedals.

The pedals will/should tell you via a label if it's -ve centre or +ve centre. Generally, all new current production pedals are -ve centre pin and new power supplies will be -ve centre, too. Some power supplies also come with a converter cable which allows the -ve centre to be changed to +ve centre because some old pedals have a +ve centre. A good example is the Ross distortion pedal (tan coloured one, not available anymore) that is +ve centre.

The One Spot is great value for money. IMO, buy the One Spot combo pack. It has all adapters, connectors and a converter cable. Excellent product and pricing. Plus it's mA rating is pretty high, so you shouldn't have an issue with powering your pedals. Of course, this will be for 9V pedals.

If you buy pedals that are 12V or 18V, you'll need to buy power suppplies for those particular pedals, unless they come with one. The mA calculation is the same, though.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I use a one spot to power 8 pedals currently and it's just fine. I don't have any noise problems. You can pay more for something that has separate outputs and is not just a glorified daisy chain. I've never had a reason to upgrade from the $35 one spot.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
I agree with the One Spot reviews--best value for the money. I used to use one and loved it. Make sure to know the pedal voltage, too. You may want to go with a Voodoo or similar, because as your pedal collection expands, you may need something to power 18 volt effects. When I had the One Spot, i still had to search high and low for a DanElectro 18 volt adapter for my Cool Cat. Those "power brick" type adapters usually have several 9v ports plus an 18v port or two. Some even have 9v ports that can simulate a dying 9v battery--great for distortion pedals.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
easy answer = buy an fx processor like rocktron xpression or tc g major.They have their own ac adaptors and some are connected direct to the wall.And both sound really good and cheapier than buying all effects they have separetely.
Plus they are programmable and no dumb feet tap dancing at the stage ;)
they CAN be good value for money, but they are not a replacement for real deal pedals.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
they CAN be good value for money, but they are not a replacement for real deal pedals.
Abso-friggin'-lutely! I've been back and forth between digital processors and analog pedals for 28 years. I always end up back with pedals, or both. I like processors for simplicity and recordin--plus as an emergency backup if my amp goes out at a gig. Pedals just have that organic analog sound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts