Jem Ibanez Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I just installed my Duncan Blackouts 7 in place of the EMG 707's that were in my Schecter Loomis C7.

If you want an audio tone comparison I'm sorry I don't have any sound clips. The recording options available to me at this moment are hideous so there wasn't much point.

but I can try and tell you verbally the difference.

Ok so everybody says the Blackouts pick up a lot more "tone" than the EMG's and they are right. You can hear everything going on with the guitar, almost feels like the guitar is electric or alive if that makes sense. Here's an example, the Blackouts can pickup the allen key touching the locking nut A LOT more than the EMG's can.

As far as EQ curves go, there are a lot more mids happening with the Blackouts compared to the EMG's. Duncan's seem a lot warmer and punchier without adding any mud to the mix, the highs seem more round and less sharp. I think the added headroom and this extra warmth and mid's make people believe they sound more passive. I kind of agree, the EQ curve of the Blackouts make them an active pickup more suitable for any kind of music vs just metal (okay mostly metal). But they are active and high output so they really scream and wail. I guess another example would be the EMG's were a lot more brittle sounding. The cleans and slightly pushed sounds on the 707 were VERY brittle sounding. The Duncan's seem to be a little more flat and even with the volume from string to string, but you still get string separation happening.

That's my review I guess if anybody has any questions go ahead and ask me. As long as it isn't "record the 2 and compare them!" because I've sold the EMG's and to tell you the truth even with the quick connect wires it's a pain in the butt to swap them in and out for each other.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey guys!

I just installed my Duncan Blackouts 7 in place of the EMG 707's that were in my Schecter Loomis C7.

If you want an audio tone comparison I'm sorry I don't have any sound clips. The recording options available to me at this moment are hideous so there wasn't much point.

but I can try and tell you verbally the difference.

Ok so everybody says the Blackouts pick up a lot more "tone" than the EMG's and they are right. You can hear everything going on with the guitar, almost feels like the guitar is electric or alive if that makes sense. Here's an example, the Blackouts can pickup the allen key touching the locking nut A LOT more than the EMG's can.

As far as EQ curves go, there are a lot more mids happening with the Blackouts compared to the EMG's. Duncan's seem a lot warmer and punchier without adding any mud to the mix, the highs seem more round and less sharp. I think the added headroom and this extra warmth and mid's make people believe they sound more passive. I kind of agree, the EQ curve of the Blackouts make them an active pickup more suitable for any kind of music vs just metal (okay mostly metal). But they are active and high output so they really scream and wail. I guess another example would be the EMG's were a lot more brittle sounding. The cleans and slightly pushed sounds on the 707 were VERY brittle sounding. The Duncan's seem to be a little more flat and even with the volume from string to string, but you still get string separation happening.

That's my review I guess if anybody has any questions go ahead and ask me. As long as it isn't "record the 2 and compare them!" because I've sold the EMG's and to tell you the truth even with the quick connect wires it's a pain in the butt to swap them in and out for each other.
After about 20 years of playing I favour SD's over any other pickup, more vintage waremer sounding in any situation. I never tried active pickups, but I love my passive SD's (Jazz and Screamin' Demon).

Regards,
Nelson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts