Ibanez JEM Forum banner

EMG 81/85 wiring, bad noise

14K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  peromucho7 
#1 ·
Hi,

I finished the wiring of the 81/85 set. Looks good but sounds bad. When I plug the mono instrument cable in there is a very bad noise/sizzling coming but it disappears after a minute or so. Very interesting. Everything is grounded except the strings (because EMG manual says so).

The diagram I applied is attached. There is only one difference from the original diagram which is the switch I used is a standard Tele 3 way blade switch. To use it I shorted the 6 terminals in the middle to make it 3 pair. I don't know if that's the problem.

Thanks,
Suat

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hmmm... You might try touching up the grounds (nice, shiny solder), starting from the jack and going pot case to pot case. Sometimes a cold solder joint (grey, dull solder) will give you grounding issues.

One other thing, you might try plugging your amp/setup in to another outlet? I've heard of people chasing ground noise and it turns out to be a ground issue in their outlet or power strip, etc.

Strange... usually EMG's are quieter and have less ground issues than passive pickups.

#5 ·
Strange... usually EMG's are quieter and have less ground issues than passive pickups.
Exactly. This is my first time with actives and I'm totally lost. I checked the wiring countless of times but everything looks as it should.

I think it has to do with the capacitor because the noise disappears after some time, maybe after the cap is fully charged. I ordered some different type of 104k cap to try if it makes a difference.

Again, after some time the noise is completelly lost.

#9 ·
No, I had the pot already ground. The main difference between two is that in the EMG diagram the cap is soldered to the second terminal (middle) of the tone pot. In the IronGear diagram it is soldered to first terminal. I'm not good at these at all. I have no idea what this changed but it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.