Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a charvel model 6 and im going to be replacing its stock pickups!The Jackson J50BC humbucker at the bridge, and two Jackson J-200 stacked singlecoils! Im replacing them with EMGs, So please dont recommend any other pickups! Im debating whether I should put an EMG 81 or 85 in the bridge and either The EMG S or SA for the singlecoils.
So either 81/S/S, 81/SA/SA or 85/S/S or 85/SA/SA
I play death metal, Thrash metal, Grindcore.
I play both Rhythm and Lead !!BUT!! my majority of playing is Rhythm.
Note* I have a guitar with an 81/60 combo already.
Everyones input would be greatly appreciated! and if you do recommend another brand, State your reason on why I should switch.

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
If you are strictly playing metal I reckon the 81-SA-SA is the combo you want. Or maybe try a 89 in the bridge to give you the split option.

Remember the are some new EMGs for more extreme sounds. 81X could be cool, or even a 81TW for the 81 and split coil option.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have an 85/SA/SA combo in one of my guitars and I really like the 85 in the bridge, but I will say that I almost never touch either of the SAs. At least in that guitar, they are very quiet and tame in comparison to the 85, which is disappointing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an 85/SA/SA combo in one of my guitars and I really like the 85 in the bridge, but I will say that I almost never touch either of the SAs. At least in that guitar, they are very quiet and tame in comparison to the 85, which is disappointing.
I agree. I have this combo in one of my guitars. I also play a lot of rythym (sp?) and I prefer the 85's over the 81's. To me they have a bit more beef than the 81's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts