Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi i was wondering if its possible to get an emg 81/s/81 combo in my rg370, the evo isnt really working for me, i just wanted to know what would need to be done to actually get them in, heres a pic of my guitar please post pics of your emg equiped ibanez wiring and what needed to be done to get them in.

thanks

JF

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
as far as i know it can be done, but it requires a reroute! work that takes balls! thats why i steer clear of anything like that haha
btw, my friend has emgs in his guitar and he hates it, says its really harsh when played clean. dunno if its just him being a fussy bleeder or if its true, ive never been able to make an aural judgement myself.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
You can put EMGs in that guitar with no routing, only the 7 string EMGs need routing done to fit.

As long as you can get a 9V battery in the control cavity(which you can on an RG) you're good to go.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah, regular 6-string EMGs will fit no problem. But I heard that the 81 and basswood is not a good combo. Keyword: heard. Can anyone fill me in on this? It'll help jem_fanatic too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ZJH said:
Yeah, regular 6-string EMGs will fit no problem. But I heard that the 81 and basswood is not a good combo. Keyword: heard. Can anyone fill me in on this? It'll help jem_fanatic too.
Had them in my RG for a while. They rocked. I when back to passives cause I like to experiment. Kinda wish I had a set in one of my RG's now...

·
Registered
16 Posts
used to have the emg81 on my rg, but went back to passives. they sound very good for the saturated metal stuff but seem too sterile for blues, etc.

not very versatile in my opinion, but definitely one of the best pickups for metal around.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a question though how often dom you have to change the battery/how do you know its running out and how many batterys do i need for the h/s/h config?

thanks

JF

·
Registered
212 Posts
jem_fanatic said:
i have a question though how often dom you have to change the battery/how do you know its running out and how many batterys do i need for the h/s/h config?

thanks

JF
The battery will last awhile, depending on how often you play, of course. I change mine a couple of times a year. When the batt gets low at will get fuzzy and thin at low volumes.

One battery is sufficient, although you can wire two together.

wemedge

·
Registered
212 Posts
The following is directly from the emg faq:

"How long does the battery last?

All EMG pickups and EQ systems are designed for extremely low current drain. In addition, the pickup jack included with all models has a switch that disconnects the battery when the guitar is not plugged in. To maximize battery life, you should always unplug your guitar when it's not in use.

The Specs Page includes current requirements and estimated battery life for each model. Generally, each pickup requires about 80 microamps (uA), except for the Vintage Series pickups which require 220 uA each. EQ circuit requirements vary widely but are higher than pickups.

For your reference, a standard 9 volt alkaline battery provides 580 milliAmpHours (mAh) of power. That means that it will provide 580 milliAmps for 1 hour or 1 milliamp for 580 hours. There are 1000 uA per mA. You can figure the approximate battery life of any setup by adding up the individual power requirements, then dividing 580,000 by this total. Here's an example:

1 - EMG-81 = 80 uA
2 - EMG-SV = 220 uA*2 = 440 uA
1 - EXG = 410 uA
-------------
Total required = 930 uA
Total life = 580,000 uAh / 930 uA = 623 hours

If you left your guitar plugged in day and night, the battery should still last a month. Under normal playing conditions, you would probably be looking at changing the battery twice a year. Of course, you should treat these numbers conservatively and not try to drain every last uA out!"

I change my battery regardless to avoid leaks, etc.,

regards
wemedge

·
Registered
26 Posts
EMG are the way to go man!!! sadly they are a more metal style pickups and arent the caleanest around but who cares! they sure got more balls than the damn EVO pickups. Anyway i plan to get an EMG 81 for the bridge PU in my new RG 320 FM and a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
EMGs do sound great for the heavy distortion stuff and now I'm even contemplating putting some in my RG370DX but I don't like the sound of mixing actives with passives because the drop in volume is pretty extreme. Also, after playing around with some actual EMGs i'd have to say that they aren't as limited as I thought. You can actually get a very nice clean tone with them and the distorted tone is also very clean. I love how they are high output but have great string clarity. Of course, I wouldn't suggest using them for something like blues just because they aren't the warmest pickups in the world.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
timi_h said:
as far as i know it can be done, but it requires a reroute! work that takes balls! thats why i steer clear of anything like that haha
btw, my friend has emgs in his guitar and he hates it, says its really harsh when played clean. dunno if its just him being a fussy bleeder or if its true, ive never been able to make an aural judgement myself.
I dislike EMGs for the same reason - they all sound very harsh clean. You need a lot of gain with them, and they sound the same in pretty much any guitar as well.

Additionally I think a lot of pickups sound much better for high gain too!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also, I heard you have to switch the 5-way to a 3-way because of the wiring, which kinda sucks. I really like the sounds I get in the 2nd and 4th position of the blade on clean.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
If you get the prewired harness kit youll have to widen the pickup wire holes to accept the ez connect tabs! Kind of defeats the purpose doesnt it? Anyways, other than that you may have to change your input jack to the three pronged version the emg-s require. A good kit usually comes with this. If your interested in getting rid of that evo cheap let me know!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Actually it just depends on which kind of EMGs you get as to whether you'll have to change the switch from a 3 way to a 5 way. I was doing a little reading on EMGs today because I'm considering putting some in my RG370DX and they do offer atleast one humbucker model that has a split mode (I think it's like an EMG 89 or something like that). But if I do decide to go the EMG route then I will probably just have a professional do the installation just so that I won't totally mess it up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ZJH said:
Also, I heard you have to switch the 5-way to a 3-way because of the wiring, which kinda sucks. I really like the sounds I get in the 2nd and 4th position of the blade on clean.
This is a big misconception that a lot of people get about the EMG actives that dont have the split coil. However the EMG 89 active has that split coil tap on the voume that will give you all that sound of the 4th position while you selector is still on the 5th position. if you want full humbucking mode just undo the press the tap on the 5th position. As for the 4th position it can use both pickups but the neck humbucker as a single coil. The 3rd position will also work because the unsplit humbucking passive can be combined with the EMG bridge to work together.The 2nd position the selector switch would use the spit humbucker as an alone silgle coil on the neck pickup. And finally the 1st position can be the full untapped passive neck humbucker alone.

This configuration is possible, however you end up with a fatter tone of a PAF because of the alnico magnets used in the EMG 89. And even though this configuration will work, the original sound of the 2nd position will be changed somewhat.

Yeah but if you go ahead and keep the wiring the same you will end up getting a dead zone in the 4th position that could really blow out you amp if you use it! So the safest way to go is most definately the three way selector switch installed.

There is one other alternitive that you could use, and it is very simple. Just go with the passive EMG HZ H4 pickup instead of the EMG 81. The H4 passive is the exact same as the EMG 81, exept that it isnt active. The sustain is also insanly long for a passive pickup as well.

Well if you have any other questions or concerns about the EMG actives, just go to their website, its really helpfull and has tons of cool specs on all their pickups.

http://emginc.com/

laters
-DoomsdayChild-

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey guys sorry ihavent replied in a while but ive been busy to answer a few questions im getting the zakk wylde set and its gona be a proffesssional installation "free i might add" the stock single coil im not sure about coz i dont have the money for the single coil right now so im not sure how thats gona work out but ill let you know asap

JF

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I went ahead and got EMGs installed in my RG370DX and they rock. I got a great deal on the Zakk Wylde set from 'evilbay' and I got an EMG S pickup for 60 bucks with free shipping from an online seller who was having a clearance sale. Check it out:

I went ahead and had the switch changed to a 3-way because I didn't want any problems with the pickups and it works great. Just make sure that whoever does your install does it properly because the guy I got to do it had never done it before and it took him a while to work out the kinks and figure out what he did wrong but they sound so awesome now....especially the 85 in the neck. It just sings out and sustains like crazy.

Oh, and the only "routing" that had to be done was that the base plate of the single coil had to be filed into an oval shape which took him like 10 minutes and he also ended up directly mounting that pickup but it sounds GOOOOOOOD.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
That looks very good xero i have a buddy with the same guitar and pickup arrangement and its one hell of a machine for the money ill tell you. The stickers look good to. how about some japanese writing in white letters as well? :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts