Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Dunlop Jazz III has become a key element in guitarist Eric Johnson's fluid and seamless style. With its pointed tip and rounded edge the Dunlop Jazz III gives players greater control and speed than any other pick. Working with Eric to recreate a prized vintage Jazz III from his personal collection, Dunlop used the most advanced laser scan and molding techniques available. The result? The Eric Johnson Classic Jazz III pick, with an even more refined and smooth tip, increased flexibility, and a matte finish with raised logos that offer an incredible gripping surface.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I love Jazz III picks and will probably try these at some point, but there is something a little over-the-top about it.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me too. I bought 5 off e-bay, and they have replaced the red and black.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I'm nuts about Jazz III's- I read an article about John Petrucci, Eric Johnson, Kirk Hammett and a bunch of others who SWEAR STRONGLY about these picks. It's rare for so many successful players to be so persuasive about the same product it perked my interest.....It took me about a week to get acclimated to them and now I won't use anything else. They really help your playing!

I had to buy a gross of 'em cause I keep a bowl of them in almost every room in the house. My wife bought me spalted maple hand-carved little bowls to put them in because she didn't want to see glass ashtrays everywhere( I bought glass ashtrays for the picks- we don't smoke)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Why don't they just release the old design again?

I'm more into those big Clayton triangle picks these days, the Jazz III's are just to small.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I remember a few years ago I asked whether folks sharpen their picks and everyone said "hell no". I've always sharpened my picks. With "non-ultex" pics, I sharpen them against a rug, with tip slanted at a 45 degree angle for picks over 1mm thick, so that the tip is flat against the string when I'm playing. Ultex picks need sandpaper. Ultex jazz or Ibanez Heavy (AKA Ibanez Paul Gilbert for one buck more) need nothing at all - they're already pointy.

I still can't figure out how people play most Dunlop picks "stock". They're OK for chords, but for single note playing you need a sharp pick.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got a couple hundred Ultex Jazz III's. I loooooooove those things.

Can it be long now before Dunlop releases a black Jazz III with a raised Dream Theater logo on one side and John Petrucci on the other?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I've been using these for the past few months instead of my pink Jemsite picks. I have some of the purple 1.14 mm for electric and green .88 mm for acoustic.

The Tortex Wedge features a bigger gripping surface and a sharper tip. The Wedge's tip is great for intricate lead work and arpeggios, and the larger size makes it easy to hold on to for heavy power chording and bass playing.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have used Jazz IIIs forever and really like the new Ultex version. I just wish they made them in neon colors, so I would stop losing the damned things! :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts