Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Sweet! I have an M-1 Tiger but I love these, too.

Do you know what in particular makes this a custom shop model?

Mine is an '07 and it says Signature Series on the headstock. I know that you can get basically the same model out of their custom shop with certain specs changed, but that looks like a pretty standard Kamikaze 1 to me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can see it on the serial, if your kami is from the custom shop.The character S stands for the Sado Custom Shop. There are Signature Series Kamis with that "S" too. The Custom Shop Sign stands for the best woods, special ordered specifications and perfect craftmenship. Topnotch!

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
You can see it on the serial, if your kami is from the custom shop.The character S stands for the Sado Custom Shop. There are Signature Series Kamis with that "S" too. The Custom Shop Sign stands for the best woods, special ordered specifications and perfect craftmenship. Topnotch!
Ah, I see. Looks like mine is from there as well. It is indeed a sweet guitar.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here you can see more characters of ESP Guitars:

ED - Edwards
SS - Standard Serie
T - Takada Custom Shop (Tokio)
K - Kiso Custom Shop (Präfektur Nagano) Metallica CS !!!
S - Sado Custom Shop (Insel Sado)
CH - ESP Craft House (Tokio)
CS - ESP Custom Shop (Osaka)
TH - ESP Technical House (Tokio)

CH/CS/TH = Masterbuilt Guitars! This is the very best of ESP. Only available in Japan or for the NAMM Show. If you can catch one.....its a big Deal!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is getting used to play it but you will be rewarded with a great sound. Amazing! The scale is 25.5
The only drawback is the weight of the Kamikaze. 5kg!

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
he neck is a little beefy on these, but if you like a classic Jem or a JS or play a 7 string, this doesn't take a huge adjustment. I would say that it's probably similar to a JS in thickness, which means it's very Strat-like.

A unique thing about these is that they use a standard 43mm nut but the neck is 45mm wide at the nut. So you get a lot more fretboard outside the strings, which gives you a lot more space for vibrato.

The weight is definitely noticeable. My M-1 weighs just about a pound more than my heaviest Ibanez, which is a J.Custom. My assumption is that these higher end guitars are getting heavier/denser woods. I weighed all my guitars and here's what I came up with:
'06 ESP M-1 Tiger - 9 lb, 14 oz
'03 RG8670TB - 8 lb, 15 oz
'06 RG8620SNT - 8 lb, 5 oz
'06 RGT320QRBB - 8 lb, 0 oz
'92 JEM777GMC - 7 lb, 15 oz
'89 JEM7PBK - 7 lb, 12 oz
'91 UCGR "Leather & Metal" - 7 lb, 12 oz
'91 JEM777FP - 7 lb, 9 oz
'88 JEM777SK - 7 lb, 9 oz
'91 RBM1BK - 7 lb, 9 oz
'87 JEM777LNG - 7 lb, 8 oz
'90 JS1WH - 7 lb, 8 oz