Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

which is the best (your opinion, not facts) esp/ltd guitar?

does the floyds on the ltd:s stays in tune or is it like a trs?

thanks...

·
Registered
655 Posts
esp

I don't know what the best is, but the trems on LTDs SUCK!!! If you do a search you'll find countless whinings about mine ;) I ended up blocking the damn POS :angryfire:

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
esp

I've heard good things about the sig. models, and I know someone in London who uses a custom model (I think) that's very nice. But I've heard a lot of complaints too. I'd recommend them for hard-tail, but I'm not sure about the Floyd-ed ones. Basically, try 'em for yourself. See which side you're sitting on.

·
Registered
270 Posts
esp

The LTD's are so so guitars. Although I once tried out an ESP MH Deluxe in a store and it was awesome. All of their deluxe and custom stuff seems good from what ive seen. They are hard to find in this area of Michigan though :angry:

·
Super Moderator
7,354 Posts
esp

The best Ltd imho (lots of abbr ;)) is the SRC500 Stephen Carpenter one. There's no trem to go wrong or out of tune and other than that they seem really solid guitars. I've considered picking one up, but I don't get on with either the body shape to well, nor the tunamatic :(

the best ESP guitar I've tried was one of the KH2 relics. I normally don't go for thru-neck construction but this one played fantastically and sounded great through the stores Line 6 AXSYS2 I guess the active pickups keep it sounding bright and tight :)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
esp

Horizons only come (in the states) without a trem. I think they usually run between $400 to $600. Then there's the H1000, but I don't think I'd pay $900 for a Korean guitar.

·
Super Moderator
7,354 Posts
esp

Yep as far as I know in the LTD range the Horizon is known as the H series and comes only with a fixed bridge (tunamatic/stoptail) When the Horizon bodyshape has a floyd rose licensed trem ESP/LTD change it's designation to the "MH"

They range from the cheapest H-100 and MH-100 for just a few hundred USD right up to custom shop models from Japan which are thousands of USD.

·
Registered
408 Posts
esp

look on ebay for ESP Customs, they are generally under $700 and they are the highest quality of guitars you can get. Make sure they say custom shop behind the headstock. All the esp customs i played have been better than Jem7vwh's which is ibanez's best model (besides the RGT, that guitar is just too sweeeeeet).

·
Super Moderator
7,354 Posts
esp

I agree with WYLD STALLYNS, there've been several ESPs on ebay I've considered even though they're not my usual style of guitar simply because they're suberb guitars at frankly rediculously low prices !!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
anyone who says this is not worth the $500 BRAND NEW is lying...

I honestly think they make some of the best finishes for the buck

·
Super Moderator
7,354 Posts
That's a gorgeous colour!!!! :D Very much like the PRS colour Pea**** Blue, or the Anderson "Bora Bora" blue (my personal fave Tom Anderson finish).

I'd pay $500 for it :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had 2 ESP Mirages that were great guitars. One was stolen and the other I sold. They were just single humbuckers but man they screamed. I wish I had the one I sold now, but we've all sold sh*&t we didn't want to sell , right? ...
that would be a great topic!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Defending LTDs.

I couldn't help but take the time to reply to this thread.

I have had 17 ESPs over the years and I still have 2 ESPs and 2 ESP LTDs (I currently have a Lynch Kamikaze IV (green) and a Skulls & Snakes Custom Shop)
My LTDs are as follows: LTD H-207 (Seven string with fixed bridge) and a Lynch Sunburst Tiger with the new Licensed Floyd that has such a bad rap.

The higher dollar ESPs give everyone a run for their money and the Skulls & Snakes I have is probably one of the best sounding and playing guitars I have ever touched.
I think the major misconception with the LTD models is that they are priced accordingly and you get what you pay for. There doesn't appear to be much of a setup done to these guitars at all from the factory and that's the biggest negative that they have going for them. (Aside from the lack of a real Floyd and real Duncans).
Having received a LTD Sunburst Tiger for Christmas, I wasn't about to let it sit without giving it the benefit of the doubt.
I spent about two hours and completely disassembeled the guitar and gave it a major setup.
It required a 4 fold neck shim and a major Floyd adjustment.
With all of that done, this LTD plays almost as good as my regular ESP.
The bottom line is that the cheaper licensed Floyds CAN be killer tremolos if they are set up correctly, but right off the shelf, they pretty much suck.
While I had the guitar apart, I did replace the Duncan Designed pickups with a Hot Rail and a Screamin' Demon. They Duncan Designed pickups were actually pretty damn good, but it was the principle of it that forced me to change them. I attempted to slap on a Original Floyd Rose while I had it all apart and that proved to be disasterous. It was just a hair too big and chipped the paint when I had it on there, so I took it off and put the Licensed Floyd back on. I'm glad I did cause it showed me that once they were set up right, they can rule.
All in all, the LTDs are excellent guitars for the money but do desperately need a setup once you get one.
Some really killer finishes to boot.
Now, if they would just use a regular ESP logo on it and just put LTD on the truss rod cover instead of the other way around. :lol:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
yurich said:
anyone who says this is not worth the $500 BRAND NEW is lying...

I honestly think they make some of the best finishes for the buck
I don't think it's worth $500 new...............

:lol: Just kidding. Nice top. Anybody know who's doing the Korean ESP's? Cort, Samick? Looks like Samick. I've never seen Cort put that kind of quality out.

·
Registered
655 Posts
jrodger9, could you please post pics of the trem looking from the side? I'm bored playing it blocked, you gave me hope, man. I couldn't find ANY instructions on how to set the Licensed Floyd, or any pictures of how it's supposed to look like at all.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts